• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rack n pinion please

Dne'

I did a search, and can't seem to find anything about R&P steering(power steering). I'm going to finish out my engine compartment very soon: I'll be purchasing: fuel lines, brake lines, powerbooster/MC, clutch/brake pedal assembly for going from Automatic to manual steering, etc.., So, I'd like to get this installed very soon after finishing the engine compartment!
I am going with a T5 transmission.
There is one available on Ebay which includes a steering column~ has anyone here installed that one? My steering column is not in very good condition.
So, any input would be extremely nice of you/ya'll! :notworthy:
MustangSteve can do a modified clutch/brake swingarm(with a bearing), and other stuff.
IMG_6397.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a budget for the rack?

There are a number of them out there:

Randalls Rack
Unisteer
TCP
RRS
Flaming river

In no particular order and there are probably more out there.

Your wise to do it now, so you can test fit and trim anything if needed before you spray paint and then have to grind/cut.

I have no budget per say, but I am kind of trying to keep things within reason. I was figuring around 1500.oo at most. I'll look at all the one's you listed and compare. yes, I'm trying to do things in an orderly fashion! Thanks!

For $1500, I think Randalls and Unisteer are gonna be the closest in that range. Check the gallery, there are some pics of my unisteer setup/install.

"68EFIvert" said:
I have the Steeroids kit in my car and am very happy with it so far.

Thats the other one I was trying to think of. Isn't Steeroids a division of unisteer, aka maval engineering?

If they are I haven't heard of that before. I already had a column and the steeroids kit was quite a bit less than the others. I think I got the kit without a column for $1150. If you are not in a hurry they will run an occasional sale that you can pick one up for 10% off.

Stay away from the Flaming River R&P: I've heard not one good word about it, and everything bad.

now that's what I'm talking about!! :notworthy: Midlife, kind of makes you wonder how a company stays in business if their product doesn't do what it's supposed to! Thanks my dear!

"Midlife" said:
Stay away from the Flaming River R&P: I've heard not one good word about it, and everything bad.

"68EFIvert" said:
If they are I haven't heard of that before. I already had a column and the steeroids kit was quite a bit less than the others. I think I got the kit without a column for $1150. If you are not in a hurry they will run an occasional sale that you can pick one up for 10% off.

Thats a pretty good price, did it come with the pump?

kind of makes you wonder how a company stays in business if their product doesn't do what it's supposed to!

Very easily. It's called "marketing". What you do is this... you send your POS new part to Mustang Monthly/Mustang&Fast Fords/Mustang Illustrated for a "free install" on one of their "test cars".... along with your signed annual advertising contract and annual check of $25k.

Don't assume that the editors of Mustang magazines are looking out for your best interests. IMO, they are all "in bed" with their advertisers. When was the last time you read an article where the tech. writer said "This part is a POS and I would never buy it again"??? Um, never. Every part seems to fit perfectly and works GREAT! Every six months or so, the magazines dedicate an issue to their "advertisers index" in order to further solidify their relationship. IMO, the magazines are nothing more than a "front" for the advertisers. Be careful of any information gleaned from a news stand car magazine.

Okay, rant over.

Have you decided on a power rack or a non-power rack? Most power R&P's are designed to work with a newer style PS pump and may not work so great with your OEM style pump. What's wrong with your existing steering column? There are not a lot of parts to your column and it can be easily refurbished? With that said, most Mustang owners seem to favor the IDIDIT column over the FR column.

Gee, thanks Dave for that wonderful writeup! what a world!

OK, my steering column would probably be OK. The turn signal switch wasn't in good shape, and to get it out, I had to take the inner wire guide out(cut the spot welds), but I know I can repair that with JB weld. Anyway, Not long ago, I bought the used non-power steering linkage from Mustang mania here in Katy, Tx, thinking I was just going to put manual steering in it. About 100.00. I'm not sure what steering gear is in my car. I took it apart, and cleaned it, put new grease and it turns just fine(4 turns lock to lock). It's the long shaft model. I actually thought about going ahead and putting it in. I don't think I'd have a problem with non power steering. I had a '65 GTO in my younger years and had no problem steering the car. And the Mustang being light as it is; I'd probably be alright with it.
I could spend the money on the AC system instead.
What are your thoughts?

I had a '65 GTO in my younger years

What are your thoughts?

Right now I'm thinking about the '65 Goat I drove in H.S. and what a dumbass I was for selling it...

Modern R&P steering is a "night and day" difference on a classic Mustang. Without R&P, you'll constantly be aware/reminded that you're behind the wheel of a classic car. For some people, this is a good thing... it's what they want to feel... nostalgia. With R&P, you'll never think about your steering as it will feel as if you're driving a Honda Accord. Minimal steering effort, no "slop" in the steering wheel, precise steering. If you're going with a SBF engine, I'd venture to guess that parallel parking with a manual R&P would not be an upper arm workout... probably better than an OEM manual steering car, but not as easy as an OEM power steering car.

I was thinking about the manual R&P, but kind of concerned that the U-joints leading to the rack may get worn out, or it's definitly a strain on the little joints. My car will just be a now and then driver, nice Sundays,etc. It's not a money problem either, it's more of a guilt thing! I know my car will not be worth much when done either, but my thinking is that, if I put really good stuff into this Mustang, and I find a really nice FB rolling chassis a year or so down the line, I can take all my good stuff and put it in the next car! Kind of hurts when I think that the AC system that I put in, and the steering I want will be 3-3500! lol Actually if the car turns out OK, I'd keep it anyway and start my collection from there! :dance

Dne'

Take a look at the attached link. It's a .pdf catalog from Rod&Custom Motorsports. Both Mike (evil eleanor) and I have used their RC-107 kit. I know the price looks a little steep, but when you consider all of the benefits.... front disc brakes, tubular coilover front suspension... and rack&pinion steering, you'd spend much more piecing these components together separately.

http://www.rcmotorsports.net/5895_rod___custom.pdf

:hide Gee Dave, don't show me stuff like this! you're right though, by the time one runs around piecing it together, this would be the ticket! Maybe in my next project. This is one of those situations, I wish I could test drive each type: manual rack, power rack. I had a '67 cougar years ago(everything cool was years ago!), and it had linkage type PS, and I don't remember any issues with it being sloppy or any problems with it. The manual rack sure would simplify things! I've time to ponder, so I'll ponder! Right now we're dealing with that darned Hurricane heading our way! :eek

I've got all the manual steer stuff for a '68 laying in my garage, I also got a T5 sitting around, if you run away from Ike and find yourself in Dallas, stop by...I'll make ya a helluva deal. I offered it all up to Sluggo, but he didnt want to get his trunk dirty....

this is too funny! I too have the manual stuff and a T5 transmission!!! :rof I am putting this T5 in for sure!

"Fast68back" said:
I've got all the manual steer stuff for a '68 laying in my garage, I also got a T5 sitting around, if you run away from Ike and find yourself in Dallas, stop by...I'll make ya a helluva deal. I offered it all up to Sluggo, but he didnt want to get his trunk dirty....

As someone who has read quite a few threads over the years about Rack & Pinion conversions but never pulled the trigger, I offer these observations:

Dave makes a number of good points in his posts.

In addition, it seems that original unmodified cars with automatic transmissions have the greatest success rate for trouble free installations. Cars with stick shifts or headers seem to have the most issues with fitment and installation.

Of the products currently on the market there appear to be two main types of racks, "end steer" and "center steer". End steer have the tie rods coming out of the ends of the rack while the center steer types have the tie rods connected toward the center of the rack. "Bump steer" seems to impact the end steer racks more than the center steer racks, though bump steer seems to be an issue to some degree with all of these conversions. The bump steer eliminator kits add cost and minor complexity to the tie rod ends but seem to have a positive effect on bump steer.

The TCP racks seem to be at the well engineered end of the spectrum but have always been at the high end of the price ladder, even when they were being sold by the original TCP company (IIRC they went belly up).

Turning radius can be an issue with some of the rack conversion kits so it pays to explore that with any vendor who makes your list of finalists.

After sale customer service is a mixed bag depending on the nature of the problem and how effective a patch customer service comes up with. It seems that some products were sent to market before successfully completing beta testing thus making early customers the guinea pigs.

There are a number of recent posts on Unisteer, (including a group buy), and a large number of older posts (a couple of years ago or so) on the Flaming River kit if you want more reading material over on the "the other site".

Lastly, in case you may be wondering the reason I have yet to pull the trigger on a R&P system, I run a big block with long tube headers and at this point the only way I have a reasonable assurance of a half way decent installation is if I go with TCP and switch headers to FPA's. I really hate changing out headers so I have decided that this upgrade will wait until I have a reason to pull the motor.

Back