• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rally Pack

PNYGTA

Hey all,

I have an after market, read Scott Drake, Rally Pack in my 66 GT, the car has the ignitor 1 installed as well as a 12 volt coil.

The Tacho side of the Rally Pack is connected to the coil as per instructions, question is will this set up be ok, have heard on teh grapevine that the connection to the 12 volt coil will fry the tacho?

Cheers

PNYGTA

The tach's trigger wire is connected to the NEG terminal of the coil. IIRC. :confu

Appreciate the reply B67, my rally pack is connected to the neg post on the coil, but will a 12 volt coil cause any damage to my rally pack?

Just don't want to run it the way it is if there is a chance of damage causing failure.

Cheers

PNYGTA

The Scott Drake instructions said to connect the wire sending the signal to the tacho to the "-" post on the coil.

This connection is not what would have come from a factory original, as that would have been connected to the wiring at the rear of the ignition switch somehow. My understanding is that with an original ignition set up (points) the coil received 9 volts when the engine is running, using an ignitor the coil must have 12 volts when the engine is running.

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers

PNYGTA

If what the instructions say are correct, the tach is a voltage-sensing unit, and it cannot be broken with full 12V. The original Ford tachs were current sensing devices, using the hot line to the coil to sense current fluctuations. Because the input to the tach was a transformer, I think it would work just fine with 12V.

Back