• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Re-restoration in progress for some vintage racing

msell66

The party’s over
Donator
I've decided to go vintage racing with the guys in Kansas City so I need to replace parts that have been on the car since I finished the resto back in 04. The car has seen a lot of track time and god knows how many engine mods ;-)

I have suspension parts from John and Shaun sitting in the shop and engine parts are pouring in as well. Once I remove the current street engine, there are a number of mods and chassis stiffening items to take care of. I have no illusions of being fast, but I do plan to have a ton of fun going W2W with some really good racers. It should be a hoot! (crap, I just scared Duane).

If the plan comes together, I hope to make the vintage race at the Kansas Speedway in September with HVR (http://www.heartlandvintageracing.com/)

Just got back from a trip to Kansas. Got to see some of my parts...still waiting on the pistons to arrive so we can pre-assemble to zero deck the block.

The sweetness of a new Boss block.

IMG_5869.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

and it even has the threaded mount for the equalizer bar!

IMG_5871.jpg

Here's what needs to be done to 289 heads to fit the Boss block. I few areas had to have material added that without, it would have uncovered the water jacket openings.

IMG_5868.jpg

Whats the stoke your looking at on the boss block? Heard issues with a 3.4. Apparently the bores are pretty short on those block.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Yep. Vintage does not allow stroked engines in B production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool. I'm guessing stock iron heads or could you run a iron tfs high port

Cool, so the rules dictate stock irons. Wouldnt you see some gains from a set of ported gt40 style heads? Ive got a set of 69-70 351w heads laying around if you could use them

The 289 heads are going to make it easy to run a 13 to 1 compression. 351 heads are allowed though. All the R&D has been done on the 289 heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a pretty stout looking block! I think that'll be the last one you'll need to buy. I never would have thought there would be an issue with water passages. I'm thinking the BOSS 302 block could be bored just a little bit, wink wink.

I'm saving the bore for future needs. This engine will already have a lot more TQ & HP than the 289. I'll need to re-learn the car.

Back