• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Read any good bodks lately?

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
My boss has the same eclectic taste in reading material as I do (military history, history, and interesting biographies), and we swap books from our personal libraries all the time. He gave me about 6 books to read, of which the first two caught my attention.

The Looming Tower is about how al-queda came into existance, and their history up to 9/11. Interesting reading and very readable.

The one book that is gnawing at me is Wizard For Hire (three books in one hardback) by Jim Butcher. Basically, a cross between Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Raymond Chandler. Harry Dresden is a wizard private investigator, who works along side the Chicago PD investigating occult crimes. Ordinarily, I am not into SciFi, but this is a great author. I cannot put the book down. Turns out there's a series of 11 books, and I've read just the first two so far. Woohoo!

I read the latest Lee Child book about a month ago and a few more books while on planes/business trips. I got the lee child book as his book signing here in Dallas. Great author. If your into military type stuff you should check him out. While not biography or military history and has strong military ties.

Supposedly Tom Cruise and his company own the rights to make one of his books into a movie, but something with breakup between cruise and whichever studio he was with caused all kinds of issues.

Been reading John Connolly's Charlie Parker novels. Dark stuff. He just needs to write faster than I read....

The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King is by far one of my favorite series of books, and I pretty much hate reading fiction. I like cold hard facts, and history. I'll read damn near any book on WWII, and a few on the Civil War (Gods and Generals is high on my list.)

"Midlife" said:
The one book that is gnawing at me is Wizard For Hire (three books in one hardback) by Jim Butcher. Basically, a cross between Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Raymond Chandler. Harry Dresden is a wizard private investigator, who works along side the Chicago PD investigating occult crimes. Ordinarily, I am not into SciFi, but this is a great author. I cannot put the book down. Turns out there's a series of 11 books, and I've read just the first two so far. Woohoo!

That sounds like a great book Randy!

The last book I read was Clive Barkers - "Imajica" - it was a phenomenal book! If you like horror with some perversion, check it out - excellent reading. But I have never read anything by Barker that I have not liked yet.

Also his series of "Everville & "The Great & Secret Show" were equally as fantastic. But not for the light hearted readers.

Just finished the best seller "Daughters of Discipline" by Naughty Nuns of Panama City. Made me want to get out my whips and chains.

Back