• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear brake replacement on my wife's 07

KTJMcG

I have to do all 4 wheels on the wife's 07,never did ford rear disc before(My Magnum is just like doing the front).My big question is(I have the caliper Tool to crank the piston in) do I need to open the bleeder screw to screw the piston back in?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Opening the bleeder screw would release the fluid to the ground....requiring filling and bleeding when done. Just make sure you do not have fluid overflow at the master cylinder when forcing the caliper to open.

This is what I found on my 2000 GT when I did them when we owned it. Sounds like it might be time for new fluid also......

You do not have to open the bleeder, the caliper will go back without just fine. Manufacturers usually suggest opening the bleeders so you dont push any crud that could be in the calipers back through the ABS pump. I usually dont open them due to the fact that bleeders can be a bear to free up here in the salt belt.....

I have never done anything more than pop the top on the MC to relieve a bit of the pressure when compressing a caliper. Depending on fluid level you may want to wrap a rag around the MC to avoid any spillage but I honestly have never had an issue with that either.

Thanks for the advice guys.Much appreciated.Knowing now that it's optional,I'll get out the mityvac and flush the system. It has the original brakes on it,so I'm going to stay on the side of caution and open them and flush the system.

Thank again for the help and advice.

How many miles are on the wife'y 07? I am at only 25k on my 07, so the brakes should be a LONG way off.

fd

"FordDude" said:
How many miles are on the wife'y 07? I am at only 25k on my 07, so the brakes should be a LONG way off.

fd

49,500. I was surprised it got that far. Got 4 slotted/drilled rotors with ceramic pads on eBay for $190. They came in this afternoon and I'll do the job on Monday because of the holiday weekend.

DSC03239.jpg

Back