• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

rear deck speakers for '67 coupe?

i was just piecing a new audio system together on alpine's site and noticed something. now, i'm no audiophile, but i like good sound. high highs, clean mids and low lows.
i was looking at the rear deck....it appears that there's a 5x7 cutout in the center of the deck. i've seen other posts where people cut up the decks to fit a pair of 6x9's.

interestingly tho, the alpine site has a few pre-assembled systems and i noticed that they were running 6 1/2" separates up front and 6 1/2 coaxials in the rear with a 10" sub. has anyone run 6 1/2" speakers in the rear deck instead of 6x9's? has anyone fit 6 1/2" coaxes in the rear deck without mods or with minor mods?

back in my earlier days, it was almost standard to have 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 coax or separates up front with 6x9's in the rear. is it maybe that you're getting enough bass from the 10" sub that the 4 6 1/2" speakers fill the cabin with clearer highs and mids?

if i can go without hacking up the deck, i'd like to fit the 6 1/2 coaxes back there.
thanks.

Sorry, can't answer the audiophile question of what will fill the cabin and I also plan 6X9's but it's easy enough to get the mounting measurements for a 6 1/2" speaker and transfer them to a piece of carboard and do a test fit to see if they'll slip in the center of the 2 odd holes in the tray. I plan to hang my 6X9's from underneath with no speaker grill and recover my package tray with material so the sound will play through but you won't see the speakers.
Jon

Not sure of the rear deck on your car but in the '65 I did what Jon is gonna do. I drilled holes to hang two 6x9s, cut out areas in the tray, slipped the covers on top of the tray and ran the mounting bolts from the cover through the tray, through the deck, and down through the speaker. I used black foam between the speaker and the deck for spacing so the speakers would not rub metal.

Some 6 1/2 speaker mounting hole varies depending on the brand, so you need find out exact dimension before buying. Far as sound quality, 6 x 9 will give more bass than 6 1/2 due to the cone's surface area. But it might not be that much difference between the two if the trunk area is not isolated well. Now if you are adding a subwoofer like 10" woofer, I would get something that will fit the rear deck like 5 1/4 or even a 4". Key to getting good mid and high is to use passive or active crossover to block out the bass from the smaller speakers if you have subwoofers. I cross mine around 120 Hz and up. If you are not planning on adding subwoofer, I would go with a 6 X 9 and do what you can to isolate the trunk and sound dammping material will help also. I have 4" separates in my 66.

6x9s will fit fine in the rear. With a good amp, that should be enough to handle the bass. If you want to go further, I'd suggest a separate subwoofer in the trunk (12-inch plus). I'm thinking you could probably put 6.5's in the rear deck, but you'll likely have to drill some holes in the metal tray for the screws to pass through.

I'm using 6x9 in the daughter's 65. Had to open up the deck a little more to get the speakers to snug down. Also using a amp and bazooka sub woofer.

No room in Shag's for a subwoofer and amp. Bummer. Guess I'll have to listen to the motor.

Kicker 6 x 9's fit perfect without modifying the metal in my 67. You just have to cut the cardboard package tray. Old dirty cellphone pic, but you get the idea

166_27_07_09_3_15_35_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back