• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

rear frame replacement

napaguy

Morning guys and gals,
My 66 needs both short rear rails. It currently has one oe rail and one aftermarket installed but something is amiss with their placement. I want to go ahead and install two new rear rails and start fresh. I have looked at farming this job out and I may do that. I really want honest opinions if this is doable in my garage? I have no problems welding and such. My biggest concern is getting things "square" without the fancy equipment the body shops have....is it worth trying or should I go with my gut and farm it out? My wallet waits on your responses

Pat,

From my experience, nobody is going to do as good a job as you can. They'll probably get it "close", collect their money and then get it "out". Rarely, unless it's a high dollar restoration shop, does a shop give a $hit enough to do the job correctly.

If I were you, I'd do it myself.

I have confidence I can do it as far as measuring, cutting etc. The problem I am having is the fact that the rails are probably not in the correct spot now due to a rear ender etc. Thats where I get stumped. How can I determine where they need to be if I am not confident they are correct now? Thanks for the responses guys

If you have access to the original (or reproduction) shop manual, all the diamensions are there. Here is the one from my 67 shop manual so you know what to look for.
mustangandcougarunderboct3.jpg

I have the shop manual with the specs in it...but I have an unlevel garage floor.....and probably not enough smarts to figure some way to establish a datum line. Thoughts?

I have an unlevel garage floor.....and probably not enough smarts to figure some way to establish a datum line. Thoughts?

It's not the garage floor that needs to be level.... it's the car. From the provided schematic, level rockers would be your datum line. Four jack stands, a framing level and some wooden shims (as used to hang a door/window in your house) should be all you need.

Dave,
I partially understand what you are saying....but I dont see how I could accomplish the task with the items you mentioned. Wouldnt I have to hang a datum line from the car? I was thinking of buying some long pieces of small square tubing and hanging it the length of the car on each side...would that work? or am I way off base?

I think what Dave is saying is to get the car level in space you need some shims because jack stands don't have a lot of adjustability. Once the car is level i.e. place the level on the rockers for front to back and on a good board across the width (underneath) for side to side, then measure everything off the rockers for the frame rails location. Or pay someone to do it...

The datum line is an imaginary line to reference the height. You can set your datum line at any height you want as long as you keep the ratios constant.

For example: if the datum line in the drawing is at ten inches from the bottom of the rocker and yours is at 13, just add 3 inches at all points. The car and the datum line must be level.

You're not building a Mars lander. You have enough snap to realize it needs to be corrected so you are already half way there. Do it. You can always ask questions here or on VMF.
You might look into a cheap tram gauge or even make one, it may come in quite handy.

You're not building a Mars lander.

LMAO....

Good points Sluggo. Oftentimes the fear of the unknown is the biggest obstacle to overcome. I think that may be the case here. Once you commit to doing it and actually get started, it's usually not as hard as you thought it would be.

I laughed at that too.....why?... beacuase it was so true!!!! I would have been a perfect rocket scientist. I will admit it scares me to think about doing it myself. I am still confused though. The chart I have shows points to be measured at the front frame, forward of the shock tower, rear of front sub frame, front of rear spring and rear shackle hole. So where does the rocker panel come into play? or am I just using the rocker as a point of reference for being level? Thanks to all that replied [even you smartasses] :jam

Ok one more question...I wanted to see exactly what a "tram" was and how it worked but when I googled tram all I came up with is train/trolly links...can somebody please explain what a "tram" is? TIA

Im with most everyone else. Its not that hard once you get started. Its all in your head.

So get that torch and welder out!!! :happy1:

Back