• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear Main Seal leaking

tarafied1

well, looks like I have to pull the engine and trans back out. I finally got the exhaust back on and drove the car a bit. The rear main seal is leaking. So frustrating!

Feel ya. Had the same issue with the first engine I had put in my car. Well, kind of. I think. Might have been the back of the oil pan seal. Either way pulled the engine. Probably should take a look at it now that I think about it.

You'll get it worked out. I put some silicone sealer over the top of mine for added insurance in case of a score mark or something along those lines allowing an oil weep. Won't hold up forever but it sure will get you through a season or two.

thanks, the block is a 70 and I had refreshed it 18 years ago and never had a leak. When the 502 was on the dyno it had a leak at the rear main so I chalked it up to a bad seal and changed it before I put the engine in the car. Now it's leaking again. The only two things that have changed (in the rear seal area) is the block was line honed and it's a new crank. My thoughts are when they line honed it and they may have took more off the caps to get it true and the seal area is not round any more. Anyway, I will pull the engine and take the crank out and check it all out. Man that's not what I wanted to do...

Ah man that really bites, sorry to hear about that issue Craig.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Thanks guys, what's everyones thoughts on the knurl marks on the crank or not? My Scat crank doesn't have them. From what I understand the knurl marks were for the rope seal.

Back