• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rear window louvers **updated with pics**

66gt350

Just testing the water to see what people's opinion was on rear window louvers. A note was left on my windshield last Friday...a gentleman had some parts from previous mustang builds. One of the items was a set of rear window louvers for a 66. They were made by Maier Racing, back about '73, and they're made of aluminum. Only about seven were made out of aluminum...too costly to make, so they switched to fiberglass. I've never seen a 66 with louvers, so it would be something different. I'm just curious of what y'all think of louvers on a 66 fastback.

And before you throw the F'ing rule book at me, I haven't seen them, so I don't have any pictures. I hope to see them soon, and pictures will follow.

Re: Rear window louvers

Not sure it would flow good with the curve of the window. I would get them and check it out....never know. I saw a coupe with them one time and it actually looked good but different.

if you dont fit them to yours, grab em and turn em over.
Should be worth a bit

Not a big fan of rear window louvers. but that's just me.

I saw a coupe once at a car show with them and did not care for them at all. But everybody has different taste. Rich.

I like them on the '69/'70 but that's about it. I'm not sure I would like them on the '65-'68 cars but that could be because I've never seen one with 'em. If they're cheap enough, get 'em and see. As mentioned, you could always turn 'em.

I've seen them on a 65-66(not sure what brand) and really didnt care for the look. Look out of place on the earlier cars. They look more at home on the 69-73 cars.

Well, I finally met up with the guy and took a look at the louvers. They're in pretty good shape, there only one that has a small nick in it. Looking closer at the pics, it looks like there a little wahoo on the lower louver on the right side, which looks like it could be reshaped pretty easy.

We set them on the back of my car to see how they look. The louvers are flat, and with the rear window being curved there's a gap in the pics. The mounting brackets slide under the window seal. And the louver snap in and conform to the shape of the window. Here's the pics:

"Fast68back" said:
Did they fit better with the hood up?

Errr....no. Didn't you see the gap??

But did you mean the front air brake?? With the way I drive, to slow down to sub-light speeds, I need to raise the flaps. :bird

The guy wanted to see what I'd done to the car, and we just got done looking at the motor, when I snapped the pics.

When shaped to the window, they should look pretty good. Drive careful until you attach them........

Question is: Can it hold up at 100mph? :lol

I wouldn't mind having one of those, but it sure ain't cheap for a new one.

Back