• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Refurbishing 65/66 Fastback Quarter Louver Vents

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
I have more than a couple sets of vents for my car. The plan was always to make the car better than new so when it came to parts that were not available in the aftermarket I was always on the look out for spares. Logic being when it came time to refurbish something the more I had the better chance of having one that would turn out the best (perfect if possible!).

Fast forward, I had a back up set of louver vents that had been sitting for a couple years in a box on the shelf in the my garage. Decided to pull them out and see what they looked like...under the thick coats of black spray paint some previous guy had slathered upon them.

Two coats of heavy duty oven cleaner later I moved up to real paint stripper. The oven cleaner wasn't going to get it done. It took off the PO spray paint but barely touched the lower paint from the factory. The stripper, however, did it's job quite quickly. It also eats through some thick plastic gloves too damn quick as well.:eek:

I guess I never realized it before but the deep set, inside portion of the chrome pieces was actually originally painted what appears to have been a flat black or very dark gray. I confirmed this by looking at others I have on hand including the originals off my car. This would make restoration a bit more difficult as masking to paint just that portion of these little pieces was quite the challenge. I suppose I could have just hand painted with a brush but I wanted to spray. Idiot.

Once all the old paint was removed and the inner sections were repainted, I polished up the remaining chrome surfaces. The pics do not do justice to just how nice the chrome came out. It is, in a word, perfect.

I also ended up spraying the back cast pieces flat black as well. It is not how they did originally based on the examples I had but I wanted mine black so I painted them too. I now have two VERY nice sets. No chrome pitting or chips at all. Can't wait to see how they look installed.
vent easy off.JPG vent stripping.JPG vent stripped.JPG vent painted.JPG vent painted 2.JPG vent painted 3.JPG vent painted 4.JPG

Really nice job!
If I send you mine...wanna do them too?!!! LOL
It's projects like this that have kept my car in the "build" stage so long. I get so freaking anal about every little part the progress barely moves along. If I took on others stuff I'd be dead before I ever finished mine! I will offer a suggestion though. Use a brush to paint that inside portion. The odds of anyone ever being able to see a brush stroke when installed is pretty much nil.

Next up, the inside vent slider panel. I have two sets of those too. Time to see how nice I can make the latest acquisition look...

Anal? Build stage taking long? That's why my coupe has taken 6 years and counting and my fastback is now on 30 years! Ouuucccchhhhh!

Back