• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

remodel time....house DONE!!!!

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
We live in a '70s suburban house...and it looks it. Two story with the garage under the front bedroom. Its basically a stucco house with the front covered with cedar shingles. We had the stucco painted once in our 35 years here so its due. The garage door is called a California door, I guess because its only here that it was used. Its a one piece wood door that pivots midpoint on the side.
Well the stucco paint looks its age. The cedar shingles are literally falling off (staples that old them are rusting out) and the garage door is also just rotting away (paint won't help).
Time to do something about it.

Nor I nor my wife have any design ideas. We can look at something and make a decision but thinking of it..not a clue. So we hired a design/construction company to..well design and construct. Its quite nice sitting back and letting someone else do all the shopping and coordinating. We just say what we like. Of course it does come at a cost but around here I think we will easily recoup when the time comes to sell. And the house really needs it.

Yep, that is a very dated look. No doubt you will both be pleasantly surprised with a refresh. As for the garage door, those things are killers. If a spring breaks the door will come crashing down and even worse the old springs did not have capture rods in them and can shoot across the garage like a bullet. Good idea to replace it!

If you think the design work comes at a cost, just wait for the Fastback storage bill!

If you think the design work comes at a cost, just wait for the Fastback storage bill!

Oh I got some guy willing to put it someplace. I just hope he doesn't paint it purple....seems to be his favorite color.

I would come over to help in change for a bed and food. Taste some american lifestyle.:p:p:p:p

The overall structure of the facade lends itself to a number of possible design schemes. Depending on budget I could come up with a lot of ideas. Personal favorite would be to take it in a craftsman style direction. The three tall vertical "column" wrapped in a stone veneer. Large cedar truss structure supporting the roof overhang above the garage. Cedar shake roof if the area permits. For sure upgrade the window above the garage to something with architectural design like an arch. Maybe similar in the first floor too. For sure a new cedar clad garage door to mimic an old carriage door look. And fix that driveway! That hump causing the gaps at the door bottom would drive me nuts. Go with a stamped concrete with a cobblestone look to finish things off.

I think shake roofs are outlawed here in fire country. I know the city of Burbank was hounding my brother to get his original shake roof replaced. I think when I had my roof redone shakes were not an available option.

And yes, with all those cracks and the crown, the driveway is a must to replace. That area above the front door looks weird to me. Perhaps put a big window there? It looks like it would get some afternoon sun. And how about a skylight over the entryway?

I can't wait to see the "after" pictures.

Last edited:
Mike:

You looking at just a face-lift for the front or are you also thinking about updating/remodeling other parts as well?

Based on square footage and lot size for similar homes in your subdivision, IMHO your house would likely be valued in the middle somewhere. While fresh paint and trim, updated landscaping, and cosmetic things will generally be pleasing to the eye, they may not necessarily translate into a higher sale price on a dollar for dollar basis. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck upon sale, you need to spend wisely. I suggest you speak with a realtor familiar with Morgan Hill to see what high value upgrades are recommended for your house. In my experience, around here a 40 year old tract house in a regular subdivision would most benefit from efforts toward enhanced value in the kitchen/baths/solar/mechanical/plumbing/general repairs (such as dry rot and termite damage). Most other things will not necessarily translate into a dollar for dollar increase in sale price though they will likely make the house easier to sell (think "Curb appeal") when compared to others in your subdivision. If you need a local referral, let me know.

Garage doors are an easy upgrade. But the roll up doors take up a little space on the inside for the tracking, but the advantage is that you can park a car on the outside right up to the door. I like the windows in my garage door except for the cobwebs and dirt that have collected over time. I once tried to remove the panels for cleaning, but they are not really made to do that. Your new roof will outlive you, they are designed to last 50 years now, unlike the 25 year roof that we just replaced. Have you replaced your windows? They are now very energy efficient. Dual pane and all of that stuff. Sorry to say that the shingles covering the pillars and front are not very attractive. A new covering will look so much nicer. Would like to see before and after pics.

fd

Garage doors are an easy upgrade. We will be doing that pretty soon. Our is aluminum, and it's showing it's age. Yes anything you guys do to the house, you'll get back when you sell it. Don't try to change to much on the front of the house. Keep it looking like all the houses on the street.

When we purchased our home, it was by a flipping company. They put new windows, roof, paint, and added a bathroom. We we're looking for a fixer but found this one for a little more with everything done. Glad we did, now I try to maintain the yard and fix anything that breaks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

" And fix that driveway! That hump causing the gaps at the door bottom would drive me nuts " Saw that straight away !!!
As a former employe of McDonnell Douglas with a big pension , just rip it to the ground and start over again. ;);)

Doing a complete makeover of the front facade does not have to be extremely expensive and while it doesn't always add dollar for dollar resale value in the end sells the home. Even kitchen and bath remodels struggle to recover full investment. Do what you like to improve your home if you intend to stay there a while. Over a short span you will get your money back and a sale will happen much faster when the time comes. I HATE it when people wait until selling to fix up their homes. That is just stupid.

For now you can hire a concrete grinding company to come in and level off the area under the door so it seats better.

My best advice is to act as your own GC on the project. As a retiree it would be easy. Save you a fortune and likely enable you to get things done faster and on budget.

Guys, guys, I've already hired a design/remodel company. All windows were replaced a few years ago and now replacing those two up front along with a garden window in back. Cedar shingles are literally falling off and dry wood casings aren't much better. It all starts Mar 4th. We have gone through designs/colors/materials/hardware/lighting and electrical upgrades. Its all set. The driveway needs replacing but not this year.....or you guys can send me some money to get it done.

I thought the whole point of this place was to give us the chance to point out ways to spend other guys money.

You can help with the driveway.
Yes I will be going stamped concrete. I know there are all types of designs. But I still have a question...

Now there are original (I guess) concrete slabs with wood joints. Over the years my truck vehicles (Tahoe, Suburban, F250) along with cars parked on it have cracked it all, especially the corners.

I'm thinking a pour of 5 inch with rebar should handle loads well. Does that sound good. Of course when I see the costs I may back off.

Back