• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Replace 351w exhaust manifold/ header in ‘65

spitse

I have a ‘65 Mustang with a 351w. It was in there when I got it.

I’m need to replace my entire exhaust system from block to tail pipe due to holes and leaks. I’ve been trying research to figure out what to use to replace the what I assume is to be an OEM exhaust manifold. Most of what I found is info from 2010 or 2017. It’s all getting confusing for this simple guy not wanting to spend $800+ if I don’t have to. I was figuring there might be better or more options in 2022?

Here is what I know
- ‘65 mustang that originally was an A code car
- has manual rack and pinion steering with EPS assist
- it has a 4 speed top loader tranny
- iI installed disk brakes and updated to a dual brake cylinder.
- It has true dual exhaust now without an H pipe.

I don’t know if it is mounted using 65 or 66 motor mounts. From what I read that impacts clearance with firewall and other items.
I don’t know the year of the 351w. Haven’t crawled under the car and tried to look yet.

What is a good replacement that won’t brake the bank that fits the tight ‘65? If I should just go back to OEM cast I’m not opposed. Just read a lot about leaks if not perfectly flat, unless I can use gaskets with the manifold. Headers generally come with gaskets I was told so some fluctuation is ok.

I’m not a mechanic and not wanting to make a speed daemon. Just want the power with what I have and get rid of the smell and leaks. So my wife will want to ride with me again. Lol.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you are not opposed to stock type cast manifolds that would be your best bet. Quarters are really tight when trying to squeeze a 351 between those narrow shock towers. There are the usual header companies out there that offer something but fit typically is not great and you'll have to bang a few tubes for clearance. Alos, because it's so tight the tubes will be small in OD choking off some performance. Since you have a rack you also need to be concerned about clearance for the steering shaft routing someplace a stock bit never entered.

If you're willing to spend the $$$ you could call FPA. Makes some of the best for Fords. http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/Mustang1.htm

Yours is a tough set-up. I've never been a fan because its so tight in there. Lot's of guys modify the towers to gain room. Some even eliminate them all together and update the front suspension.

Just throwing it out there, are there JBA shorties for that application? If they fit, they'd be better than cast logs but cheaper than FPA.

Back