• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Replace Fuse Box During Wiring Restoration

67TXStang

I've removed all the wiring from under the dash of my '67 Mustang. I plan on fixing any splices in the wiring and then retaping everything up. I had an idea and thought I'd pitch it out here to see what everyone thinks.

I've added a new radio, an alarm, and a tachometer. I'd like to have a better solution to running these new items than just taping them on to the original fuse box. The idea I had was to cut out the original fuse box and replace it with something like the attached fuse box. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-70107/

The new fuse box would be spliced in with solder and shrink wrap. It should add some additional flexibility and get rid of the tube style fuses. I'd sell mine and buy and aftermarket one but the wiring is not bad and I don't want to spend $500 on underdash wiring as I have better uses for the money.

So... What are your thoughts on my idea? Worth the trouble? The fuse box is only $50.

It will work, but take care not to exceed the total carrying capacity of the main battery and ACC lines within the harness.

For 1967, the main battery fuse capacity is 27.5 amps and the ACC is 28 amps. Ford built in a fair safety factor, so you probably can go no more than 35 amps for each.

Mid knows better than anyone but since I'm adding everything you mentioned plus an amp and a rear window defroster/blower I wish I would have done this when I had my box loose when redoing the firewall insulation as I could have ditched the glass fuses then. I'm trying to stay stockish looking with my upgrades and the box is hidden enough.

Just my .02 from someone that missed this upgrade and wish I would have...
IMG_0468.jpg

Jon

Back