• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Replacing distibutor on 200 six

Lilbull

I am rebuilding the 65 200 six and putting a weber 32/36 carb on it. I want to get rid of the old distributor and go with the easiest conversion to an electronic setup. Can i get some input as to part numbers, cheapest place to get what i need, wiring etc. Thank you.

But that won't fix the vaccum advance problem because of a different carb. It won't have the scv on the carb to regulate the vaccum advance. Newer distributors dont use the scv.

You're best off running manifold vacuum to control your dizzy advance over carb ported sourcing anyway. The stock unit with a Pertronix upgrade connected to manifold vac will work very well.

So I got a few minutes and did some real research. Have to back up a bit. Now I get why the questions are coming as they are. It's funny because I am playing around with my very first flathead right now and the distributor used in it has the same basic issue you are facing in the way the crab vacuum is used. I thought Ford got away from these long before your engine. Simplest thing for you to do is get a '68 or later distributor that is not similarly vacuum controlled. Upgrade it with the Pertronix bit and away you go.

I upgraded the 68 to a duraspark ignition. Bought a remanufactured dizzy at oreilly's, and spark box too. I made my own harness using 4 flat trailer plugs. If you stay with the small cap, you can reuse your spark plug wires. They remaufactured dizzy's are getting harder to find, now that there are new Chinesium distributors available. It's 60 bucks vs 80 for the new one. Also running the universal Daytona carb. It was expensive, but runs really good, starts everytime on first crank and I like the manual choke.

get a dizzy for a 77-78 Ford Fairmont.

I wired it directly to the pink resistor wire. Some prefer 12 volts, but it has been fine for several years now.

Back