• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Restofied - My '66 Coupe Project

Ponyman66

Yak, yak, yak
Dunno what in the world was up with trying to post his thing, but here's another shot. I'll keep it brief, maybe there was too much text!

I found the car on Ebay and the wife surprised me one weekend when she advised she had placed the winning bid on it. I got a trailer and along with a good friend, drove to NC to pick it up. Brian (Havok1), met us and after graciously buying us lunch, accompanied us in his car (his Phoenix project), helping us load it on the trailer. All credit where credit is due, if it wasn't for Brian we would have had a tough time. The right rear tire was flat and off the bead. We used his spare on the car in order to get it on the trailer.

The car was in better shape in some areas than I had expected, and in worse shape in others. Believe it or not, the rear wheel wells and quarters were rust free (a rarity even for cars around here!). I knew the full floor pans would need replaced, little did I know at the time, the floor under the rear seat also need repaired. The cowl is in need of heavy repair so that's another pain on the to do list.

With all that said, on with the pics!

These pics were some that were posted in the Ebay ad, and were what I went buy when I became interested in it. Some I took after getting the car home. When we went to pick it up, it was off of the rollback.

Tiger stripes....or would they be zebra stripes?! The PO's grandkids spray bombed the crap out of the car, inside, outside and under the hood! I woulda smacked the crap outta the little heathens. You can also see the pain in the rear tire that Havok1 helped out with.

1b12_3.JPG 1c87_3.JPG
2600_3.JPG

What was left in the engine compartment.
2050_3.JPG

Junk in the trunk! I saved a few of the odds and ends to resell/save.
21a3_3.JPG

Fred Flintstone floors!
DSCN0947.JPG

What I found under the rear seat!
DSCN0924.jpg

The trunk cleaned out.
DSCN0966.JPG

Trunk repairs pretty much completed.
DSCN1110.JPG

After a coat of primer (just to kill those god awful stripes! It'll be stripped completely once bodywork starts).
DSCN1111.JPG

The right floorpan and toeboard replaced. Now Barney or Wilma won't have to pedal, just Fred! I'm hoping to get the left side completed with in the next week or two. Gotta refill my gas bottle on the Mig though!
DSCN1132.JPG

The rear floor under the seat replaced. The primered area at the back is the panel sent from Arkansas.
DSCN1131.JPG

The free rearend housing cleaned and painted. The center section isn't as purple as it looks in the photo. Though not an exact match, it's closer to red oxide than it looks. It's also not the center that came in it, but a 3.00 I had for it. It's in the car, just awaiting brake plumbing.
DSCN1004.JPG

That's it for now. I don't know why the original post didn't work. This one was a pain to get it to work, and it was REAL abbreviated. Hopefully the updates will be easier. I also hope you enjoy the pics. Comments, suggestions and questions welcomed.

Last edited:
Re: Restofied - My '66 Coupe Project (Another Attempt!)

What iddiot sent you that rear chunk of metal? That must have been a pain! He must be a hell of a guy! :bowdown

Yeah, he was a real goof. Wanted to cut the whole car into multiple pieces and send it to me a USPS flat rate box......if it fits, it ships! Couldn't get the boxes taped shut though. :char

Honestly folks, Brian really hooked me up with that rear seat area. I had kudos listed in my original (longer text) post. Thanks again Brian!!! :thu

Hey, if you see Brian, tell him we are waiting for updates on his car...

Restofied - My '66 Coupe Project (Another Attempt!)

Congratulations on winning the Mustang. Can't wait to see the resurrection.

All the Berkeley folks would love to see a classic car/mobile garden. LoL. It would be a form of offsetting your carbon footprint.

I apologize, I thought that the grass was growing inside the car but what I actually see is the grass through the holes on the floor. WoW!

That rear end looks great as does all the work you have done so far. This thing is going to be back on the road pretty soon. :wor

abrahamfh,
There was foliage inside the car! :thu I have the pics to prove it!

Dscn0788.jpg

nice conversion. I am going to need to watch this thread since it is what I am going to want to do. what are your plans for the heart of her?

Thanks guys. The foliage was actually from where I parked it after buying it. It sat for about 8 months before I even touched it! There were some title issues that I needed to get straightened out (again, THANKS-B). No way was I gonna put a bunch of work into before that was square.

For a drive train I found a '92 5.0 coupe. I looked for it for almost two years! I had the word out EVERYWHERE around here. I ended up finding it on Craigslist. The car was a little over 100 miles from here, but the ad was like it was written for me...89-93 5.0 w/AOD, totaled, hit in the rear! Most importantly, it was CHEAP! About two months after getting the donor I discovered an added bonus, it was an SSP car! I ended up with a factory oil cooler and trans cooler!! The PO didn't realize what it was when he sold it. I've got everything stripped out of it now for the '66. I've torn the motor down to inspect it and looks brand new inside! It gave me something to do when it was miserable outside. BTW, don't fret about me stripping an original SSP car. It was hit so hard the roof and rear floor pans were even buckled! The speedo was gone, as well some interior and body parts. What remained was EVERYTHING I needed, down to the last nut, bolt and clip. If you're gonna do a 5.0 swap, I'd strongly suggest trying to get a whole donor car. The multiple trips to the salvage yard for that forgotten part would nickle and dime you to death. With a whole car, it's all right there. You can also recoup some of your money by selling what you don't need.

The good news today is the UPS guy stopped by late this afternoon with front end parts for me. I also got my bottle refilled today for the welder. It was too late to work on installing the front end parts today so instead I started tackling the left floor. I got the large majority out and cleaned up today. I have a little more to remove before I can start fitting. I go back to work tomorrow so everything is on hold again until Sunday. No pics of the left floor, it got too dark for them when I picked up for the day. I'll post some Sunday evening. The wife has been pretty good at reminding me to shoot pics.

Last thanks go out to AZPete. Thanks for the heads up on the post Pete. After previewing the original thread I just uploaded it and didn't check it. I deleted the whole thing and started fresh (which had nothing to do with your post). Again, thanks!

I just though maybe you wee breathing to much of that welding gas......lol

The car is looking good.

I was, that's why the bottle ran out! :roll

Thanks again Pete.

Your coupe reminds me of this movie, its kind of a horrible movie but i like the coupe
Cherry_2000_Mustang.jpg

Haven't been reminded of that fiasco for a long time......

Yep....comes on the late/early morning runs every once in a while.

Now that was a cool movie! They created the perfect woman...well except for the fact her circuits can fry if she rolls around in bubbles.

"Kats66Pny" said:
They created the perfect woman

So they left out the vocal chords?

"silverblueBP" said:
So they left out the vocal chords?

And is she a millionaire nymphomaniac who's dad owns a brewery?

Back