• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rewiring......

AzPete

Put my grandson to work today since his 16 year old back is much better than my old, worn out back. The wiring from the MSD box plus the gauge harness on this '66 had been routed in an odd fashion. I saw some chaffing of the insulation and felt I better fix things.

This is the way the wires were routed thru the frame. The wires were tight in the hole with no grommet to protect them. The gauge harness had been extended and run along the inner fender to the radiator support, then down and back to frame routing and over to the engine below the oil sender. Then things were routed to the proper sender.

This is the before....
unload081.jpg

We ran the gauge harness back to the top of the engine, Took out about 6 foot of extra wires. Then we routed the MSD wires across the lower inner fender and up to the harness tie down on top of the inner fender. From there, we jumped across to the engine going in under the compressor mount and to the distributor and coil. I also move the coil from the front of the head to the intake.

This is the same area after....
unload082.jpg

Here is the engine bay after a few days work. New hoses all around, some rewiring, the elec. fan and new relay installed and the coil relocated.
unload083.jpg

What's the advantage of having the coil on top of the intake manifold instead of in front of the cylinder head?

"hivewax" said:
What's the advantage of having the coil on top of the intake manifold instead of in front of the cylinder head?

At this time, it looks cleaner. The coil kind of sticks out to the side with the A/C compressor mount on the head too. It should run a bit cooler too but who knows if I will see a difference.

According to MSD, it should be vertical but some will go horizontal as long as they do not leak oil. Well, after a short drive, mine left a spot so it is going back on the head. Oh well....worth a shot.

I am at 50/50 on the coils. Two out of four 66's worked for the intake mount.

Good work Pete looks really clean, be sure to not share the wattles mate im still trying to source you some this side of the glode :ecit

Yep. He got a free breakfast prior top the work and will get a meal out later this week. The only thing we did not have to rewire was the starter. Everything else was worked on. My grandson did a great job without to many complaints. He is not really a mechanical type but he likes the old cars and is willing to help. He also knows he gets to drive it every so often.

Back