• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

RH Mirror help..

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
Taking the car out I notice the RH mirror is really shaking. I find that the front screw is just spinning in place. Remove the mount and find that the anchor piece has made the hole in the body bigger thus no real connection.

Is this a auto part I can just pick up? Use a simple hardware part? Like a molly bolt but for metal?

SF RHM bottom.jpg
SF RHM bottom Rr.jpg

SF RHM bottom.jpg

SF RHM car mount.jpg

A few ways to deal with it but the key concern is how much of a concave surface you are dealing with where the screw attaches to the door. You want whatever bit makes contact with the door metal flat enough to have a surface to hold against. You can just use a screw with a washer/nut in the door but that will require pulling the inner door panel off for access. You could also install a "nutsert" in the hole which would give threads for a screw to connect. Just make sure the top of the insert fits within the space on the bottom of the mirror trim.

There's a plastic surround/gasket between the mirror mount base and the car body.

So go to hardware store and find a nutsert?

You could always go with a simple washer and nut on the back side but if you do be sure to use at least green Loctite as road vibrations etc losing the nut is a real concern.

I have the tool and a lot of different sized inserts. I am happy to loan it to you when I see you next week.

I think you need a washer for the new nutsert cause that hole is slightly bigger.
But you have to bent the washer the same shape as the contour at that hole.
my 2 eurocent

I think you need a washer for the new nutsert cause that hole is slightly bigger.
But you have to bent the washer the same shape as the contour at that hole.
my 2 eurocent
Wouldn't the washer need to be on the underside(inside) of the door? That would be hard to do.

yep , and yes , its a struggle but the nutsert would hold better .
you only need 3 arms and 5 hands, but you could get it done. As long as the sheet metal is flat, I don't think you need a washer. As it is, you will most likely need to drill the hole a bit bigger to fit the nutsert. While you are at it I would do both. The rental on the tool is the same no matter how many you install! :D

Back