• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

roller mounts for.....

AzPete

Have you ever thought about a roller mounting system for the rear leaf spring shackles? Seems like it would relieve some binding for those that don't go all out on other types of suspension. Should be pretty easy to work up based on your experience with the bearings. A couple bearings, a spacer between, and a couple spacers between the shackle and the bearing. It would need a lip to keep the spring positioned on the bearings, as the rubber ones do.

I like this idea. Maybe use spherical bearings with teflon liners? Tho, I have to wonder if doing this to the front spring mount would help more? From what little I've forgotten about suspension, I think the front mount does the most work??

The front would do some good but the back mount is the shackle which moves a fair amount.

Look at Cobra Auto's catalog, they have a slider assembly for the rear springs. Not that I'm trying to screw up John's stuff!

"cmayna" said:
John,
I swear. I did NOT tell anyone about this idea of yours.

We do have our own thoughts too....... :ide :ide :ide :ide :ide

"AzPete" said:
The front would do some good but the back mount is the shackle which moves a fair amount.

Fark! You're right...I need more caffeine, I know better than that.

"silverblueBP" said:
Look at Cobra Auto's catalog, they have a slider assembly for the rear springs. Not that I'm trying to screw up John's stuff!

Bah, that's standard roundy round stuff...speedway motors would probably have the whole slider kit for $40 LOL

"silverblueBP" said:

I have seen those in the past but I think the bearing type in the original fashion would require no maintenance for the guy on the street. Seems like the sliders would require maintenance.

Anyone seen the mod for this place.....we may have these built by the time he checks in..... :rofl

"AzPete" said:
Anyone seen the mod for this place.....we may have these built by the time he checks in..... :rofl

He mentioned something about having a life or some preposterous crap!

Sorry for the delay. I am working on a sealed roller bearing "slider" for the shackle and a roller front bushing. It's on paper only at this point. I took me 2 years to figure out the double rollers so it might be a while. We are swamped with orders so my R&D time is limited. I'll get on it asap.

I think rollerized window cranks would be the best thing to work on!

Damn straight. Nothing pisses me off more than a damn window that won't roll up or breaks half way.

I'm on it Mid :tigg

"Midlife" said:
I think rollerized window cranks would be the best thing to work on!
yeah, I think the spring perches are easier to move than the window cranks!

It seems like the slider would be problem for a driver but good for the track. Wet, dirty roads, dirt roads, and such would seem to cause poor slider action. On the street, I think some bearings to fit as the stock spring bushing fit would be good. To bad I got rid of all my good tools when I went full time RVing.......

"AzPete" said:
It seems like the slider would be problem for a driver but good for the track. Wet, dirty roads, dirt roads, and such would seem to cause poor slider action. On the street, I think some bearings to fit as the stock spring bushing fit would be good. To bad I got rid of all my good tools when I went full time RVing.......

I agree. The sliders work great on the track. On the street they are noisy, need maintentance often and are suseptible to weather. IMO they are a race/track only part. If I ever get the sealed roller bearing mod done, they would be street friendly. I plan to adapt them to a set of fiberglass leaf springs as well as the steel ones. I'll be using glass leafs on my next track car project.

"Opentracker" said:
I agree. The sliders work great on the track. On the street they are noisy, need maintentance often and are suseptible to weather. IMO they are a race/track only part. If I ever get the sealed roller bearing mod done, they would be street friendly. I plan to adapt them to a set of fiberglass leaf springs as well as the steel ones. I'll be using glass leafs on my next track car project.

I'm interested in this leaf spring bearing idea. I see the bind in the rear setup all the time (since the car lives on jack stands).

Might be something to play with this winter.

The best thing on the market right now as a kit is the Del-Alum kit from GW. It's not as smooth as a roller bearing but close. We sell a lot of them and all the feedback is good. I have one of the kits here and they do look to be well made. I haven't tried one on the track yet but hope to soon.

11259lg.jpg

Back