• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

rounded allen bolt

blue65coupe

Flush mount bolt that takes allen wrench has been rounded off. Full of ideas, what have YOU done that has been successful before I hack at it? First step is heat then tapping a star into it.

Depending on size, Dremel tool with grinding/cutoff wheel. Cut straight across and use a flat tip screw driver to remove.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Thought about that but doubt I can get needed leverage. It's on the bottom of an atv gear case. I'm gonna heat and drive a torx bit into it first. Screwdriver second, beer and cussing third. What I SHOULD do is pull all the fluid from the fill plug and not mess with it...but we all love a challenge don't we.

You'll likely end up having to drill into it a bit and use an extractor but that usually works quite well.

Torx bit didn't want to work so I heated the piss out of it, smacked the shit out of it, and was able to get bite with pliers to break it free. Thanks fellers.

Back