• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Routing Cables to the rear - 67FB

Johnny M

I am at the stage where i will be installing my loom pretty soon. What is the best way to run the cables to the rear of the car?

I am also doing the Battery Relocation and will run the heavy gauge battery cable underneath the car.

Johnny

Most vintage Mustangs run the taillight, backup, etc along the drivers rocker panel, up and over the rear wheel well. Some have ran optional wiring via the passenger's rocker when they have ran out of space on the driver's side.

"cmayna" said:
Most vintage Mustangs run the taillight, backup, etc along the drivers rocker panel, up and over the rear wheel well. Some have ran optional wiring via the passenger's rocker when they have ran out of space on the driver's side.

Johnny,

Craig's explanation is missing some small details...

Yes, the taillight/rear harness should be run along the top of the drivers side rocker panel. At the front and rear of the top of the rocker there is a small open area.... just big enough to fit the thickness of the harness through. From the front, the harness will route behind the kick panel and through the lower recesses of the A pillar. Laying on top of the rocker, the harness will squeeze through a small opening at the rear of the rocker and then route upwards laying on top of the drivers side wheelwell. Once the harness routes into the trunk, look carefully at the underside of the metal channel that forms the opening for the deck lid. On the underside of this metal channel there should be some bendable metal "tabs" that are used to hold the harness as it routes along the rear of the taillight panel.

Johnny, we run our positive cable for the battery inside the right rocker. then make a short one for the ground and hide it inside. Rich.

"mustangstofear" said:
Johnny, we run our positive cable for the battery inside the right rocker. then make a short one for the ground and hide it inside. Rich.

Rich,
I have run my exhaust through the rocker so i dont think that would work for me.

Johnny

"Johnny M" said:
Rich,
I have run my exhaust through the rocker so i dont think that would work for me.

Johnny

Johnny,

You ran your exhaust through the rocker? Or through the rear torque box? I'm pretty sure that Rich was implying that you could run your POS cable in much the same manner that the taillight harness routes, just on the passenger side of the car.

With the battery mounted on the RH side of the trunk, the POS cable can route forward cleanly up and over the inner wheelhouse and then down to the RH rocker where it can lay in the recessed top channel of the rocker panel underneath the sill plate as it continues to route forward. It can exit the rocker panel in the same way that the taillight harness routes over on the driver's side. Once forward of the rocker panel, the POS cable can route behind the kick panel and then through the firewall and forward to the starter/solenoid.

Yea...i was a bit vague in my description. My exhausts do run through the Torque box. I thought rich meant that he ran the cables inside the actual rocker and thats why i thought the exhaust would get in the way.

All sorted now.

Thanks gents.

Back