• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

routing & questions

S8NS 289

what are these for? blinkers?

what are these?

How do i route this harness? This looks wrong to me???? :shrug

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't really tell from the pictures what you have, as you've pretty much covered up the wires and their color. The second photo looks like the gauge harness (oil, temp, coil).

What year Mustang is this?

1968, I'm thinking one is the side marker light, the other the front blinker...

Do the sending unit wires route over the passenger's side Valve cover?? When i stretch the wiring through the top of the radiator some of the connectors just miss the radiator- (Pic 5)

I'm not sure how to route all of it, Should have taken pictures before teardown... :nut

Sending wires route over the driver's side valve cover. They originate from a three prong plug passing through the middle firewall grommet.

tore it all apart and started over, this was all messed up, the sending unit wires were plugged into the drivers side blinkers-

I put them where you told me, Above the sending unit wires on the firewall there is a box shaped plug with 2 male and 2 female what is this for? nuetral safety?

"S8NS 289" said:
tore it all apart and started over, this was all messed up, the sending unit wires were plugged into the drivers side blinkers-

I put them where you told me, Above the sending unit wires on the firewall there is a box shaped plug with 2 male and 2 female what is this for? nuetral safety?
Yes, two are for the neutral safety switch (red/blue) and the other two are for backup lamps (black/red).

An excellent rule of thumb (rarely broken by Ford) is to match wire colors on both sides of the connectors. In 67/68, most of the plugs in the engine compartment are colored as well, so matching colored plugs is another good (but not necessarily always correct) rule of thumb.

one more question

I bought a 68 tach, i have standard wiring I'm not worried about the dummy lights at the bottom of the tach because i will have mechanical gauges for them,

How do i just wire the tach itself without frying it?

You'll need to re-wire the resistance wire that starts at the ignition switch and plug it into the female lead coming from the tach. Then take a new wire from the ignition switch (where the resistor wire was) and plug it into the male lead coming from the tach.

You cannot solder the resistor wire.

Going to hook the tach up in the morning-Just to be clear

The resistance wire from the ignition is the Pink Wire???

And do I just hardwire them? Cut & Splice??

Thanks,

For 1968, the pink resistor wire starts in the ignition switch plug itself. Yes, you'll need to cut the resistor wire close to the plug, crimp a regular wire to what remains, and run that out with a female bullet to the tach lead coming from the dash. You''ll then need to crimp a male bullet onto the pink resistor wire and plug it into the female bullet coming from the tach.

All this assumes you have a Ford OEM tach dash cluster. There's much more needed to make things work correctly: the ammeter leads need to be removed, the left turn signal connector needs to be moved around on the dash cluster connector, etc.

Back