• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Running lights are dim?

Check the grounds for the lights. Check all the power connections for clean and tight fittings. Measure the tail light voltage to ensure you are getting 12 volts to them. Possible light switch issues. How are the front running lights when in the park position on the switch compared to the rear at the same time?

That was also my first thought , light switch .

Take a voltmeter and measure the voltage at the rear taillight.Don't disconnect them.

When engine is running you should read about 12.6 volts at least.

You also can convert them to L.E.D. but you still need to have the proper voltage at the rear lights. :confu :confu

I think I found the issue(s). I had dirty connections- about 40 years of grime. I cleaned them, and it made an immediate difference. My alternator went out this morning, so I went nuts and replaced it along with a battery upgrade, new volt regulator, and connections.
All in all a highly productive day! Thanks for the tips.

Be sure that you have an " electronic " voltage regulator.They are more accurate in charging the battery at his fullest.( no overcharging as with mechanical voltage regulator can be )MHO.
Max voltage is 14.6 volts.

Back