• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rust....

So I was working on rewiring my car earlier, and I have taken all the interior out to have so extra room where I can lean over and see everything you know, well, there's rust inside the sides of the car, and the whole trunk is rusted out, and pin holes in the rear wheel wells, and some rust up front. So i got to wondering, considering it would cost me more to probably have somebody cut the car apart, clean it up and put it back togethor, and then fix alllll of the other rust in the rear and anything else, I was thinking, is there anyway I could spray some rust encapsulator or something all over the inside and outside and trunk and underneath and..... Well pretty much submerge the car in this stuff, after taking all the wiring out and engine and all and windows and pretty much having just the shell, and just submerge it in some rust killing stuff, and maybe having some way to spin the body around to get it in every nook and cranny and then let it like drip out or dry out whatever it does, and blow it out, you know, whatever it would have to be. Because I dont want it rusting from the inside out and not be able to do anything about it you know? Let me know if yall have any ideas or something yall may have done to protect and extend your cars lives.

There are rust encapsulators, but the real problem you have is reduced strength in the unibody frame. You really need to cut out the rot and replace it with good metal where-ever you find rust.

Depends where you are talking about. Since its a unibody the rust with affect structural integrity in places you might not think of. Also if you have the rust you are describing I bet you have more in places you haven't found. I would do a real thorough inspection of the entire car if I were you. The only right way to fix rust is cut it out an weld in new metal unfortunately. We have all been there.

Back