• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

S197 Steering Wheel Audio Controls

joesgt281

I love everything about my 2008 except the lack of audio controls on the steering wheel.
Does anybody make an aftermarket system to add this on?
I have the Shaker 500 system.

I believe you can swap in a stock Ford wheel with the controls. I remember seeing that on some S197 forums....maybe Mustang Source or Mustang Forums. Will post back if I see it.

Thanks Pete.
The reason I think this is possible is that the head unit :sm_TMI gets an input from the PCM to raise the volume relative to speed. I'm thinking this is where some external control could raise/lower volume with manual input.
I don't have any hope of having full control like the 10+s have for changing stations or songs.
Mustang World did something like this on an SN95, but they actually tapped into the Mach 460 head unit internals to accomplish it. They used the on/off steering wheel cruise control button for volume control and just wired a separate simple switch to handle the cruise on/off.
I'm no electronics guru, so really out of my comfort zone. But I do like problem-solving, and really motivated to get this done.

Call a dealer......I believe they can re-program the system to accept a stock wheel with the upgrades.

Back