• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Sacbill's '67 Convertible

Sacbill

Hard Swinger
After owning the car for more than five years, I'm making a commitment to getting the car back into driving shape and, ultimately, restored to a great show shape. The loose fit goal is to have it driveable and reliable and fairly cleaned up for Knotts in April '12 and to have it painted with bodywork done and more or less completely finished by Hot August Nights in August '12. We'll have to see what happens.

These pics are from when I bought the car in June '06:

173-040911214132.jpeg

173-040911213955-8609958.jpeg

173-040911213953-8608124.jpeg

173-040911213949-8607953.jpeg

173-040911213922-860572.jpeg

Overall, it was in pretty good driving shape when I bought it. Arcadian Blue ( :puk ...sorry, my opinion) with a parchment interior and a white top. My long term choice is to keep the parchment interior but change the color to Brittany Blue. I'm also considering a bit of a GT Clone look with GT exhaust, striping, and fog lamps.

The 302 4V was rebuilt about 20k miles ago. Running into a C4. Nothing really special there. The main engine mods are a slight cam increase (like the Edelbrock 2121/2122 combo) with the Edelbrock 1406 carb. Dual exhuast set up with Dynomax Super Turbos and 2 1/2" pipe. The main mods I made to it within the first year were a complete suspension rebuild, spec'd by our buddy Opentracker :thu. Mideye leafs in rear with GR2 (gray) shocks. In the front, there's an arning drop, 620 springs, roller perches, new upper and lower arms and thrust rods. Front brakes converted to '70 Mustang discs along with a power master cylinder.

Unfortunately, due to different requirements of life, I've basically let the car sit covered in the garage and it hasn't been on the street in over two years. (Boo, me!) As such, there are a lot of maintenance bits for me to work on (battery, hoses, fuel, oil, and so forth). The current plan breaks into three phases:

I. Get the car running, roadworthy, and reliable for lengthy trips (The trip to Knotts is about 400 miles one way.)
II. Get the car as cleaned up and detailed as it can get. This means scrubbing up the interior, which is in pretty good shape, and buffing and polishing the exterior as much as possible.
III. Refurbishing. This means getting the bodywork and a new paint job done, addressing the wiring (sloppy PO work), correcting the radiator / AC / fan situation, and so forth.

I'll try to keep things up to date on this thread, along with requests for ideas, parts, and so forth. Thanks, all!!! This especially goes for SAC69 and DEL65, who have helped me to identify some of the immediate work and brainstorm on some of the long-term aspects of the project.

Need help with corroded bolts in battery tray

Having not had any blocks of time to dedicate to working on the '67, I decided this week to start spending bits of time as I could as often as possible. God, the thing's a mess. It's become an experiment in...
...what happens when you let a mechanical system sit unused. :puk

For instance, the battery, which was loaded with corrosion at the terminals. Once I cleaned it off and removed the battery, this was the sight I had at the battery tray. Yuck.
12%2B-%2B1

Those bolts are stuck on there pretty good. I'm not in a hurry to get them out, so I put some PB Blaster on them, gave a few taps, and still they're stuck. Any suggestions on how to get these out are welcome.

How's the apron underneath? With mine, the apron underneath was totally rusted away so removing the battery tray was no problem.

You might try the combination of ATF and (I think) acetone. Maybe someone can confirm that this is what was the best at loosening rusted bolts.

Frank

Still working on it. It's back on the road, thanks to @SAC69 and @DEL65.

Right now, working on three leaks:
* Power Steering
* A/T line
* Master Cylinder

Back