• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Saleen question (BobV)?

tarafied1

Why did the fox body Saleen have a wider rear axle than the 79-93 Fox's? I understand the Saleen to be 59.5", is that right? and the standard Fox 8.8 or 7.5 is 57" I think.

disc brakes add 1.5" to the width? Is that because of the caliper needing clearance in the wheel house?

its because the caliper, dust shield, and most importantly, caliper mount take that added space between the axle flange and housing end.

Saleen wanted the rear discs, plus they were changing gears on many cars to 3.55. Ford offered them complete Lincoln rears with disc brakes and 3.55 gearsets already installed. It was a LOT easier to just change the entire rearend than swap brakes, axles & gears.

The Lincoln/SVO rear was 1.25" wider per side than the stock Foxbody rear. The 94-98 SN95 rear is .75 wider per side than the original Foxbody rear (.5" NARROWER per side than the SVO/Lincoln/Saleen rear), and uses a different brake setup. The 94-98 rear IS a popular swap on Saleens for a little extra tire clearance.

...and then there's the whole 80's Pontiac "wider is better" discussion ... which does make some sense...

Thanks,
Bob, on the 9" I got from you out of your Saleen, what disc brakes do I need for it? From a Lincoln?

I'm running the stock Saleen wheels and stock-size 225/50/16 tires. The 16x8 rear rims have 5-3/4" backspacing (32mm offset), and Saleen rolled the rear lips on all cars.
There ARE guys running the 92-93 wheel setup, which is 17x9 with +39mm offset and 255/40/17 tires.

Interesting factoid - Saleen wheels actually have a 3/8" smaller outside "lip" on the rear wheels than the front wheels (16x7 w/4-3/8 BS), because of the WIDE rear.

thanks again, if I were to use this rear on my 93 LX would I need to roll the fender lip to run a 16x8 with 5-2/4" BS?

That looks like the 92-93 cradle. The 91&earlier looks different...
Not sure if you can use the 92-93 setup or not...

craig,

if you need any pics or part numbers, let me know. i'm putting the mark vii rear discs on my car & have everything on the bench right now

z1.jpg

z2.jpg

thanks, the bracket looks like what I have (Bob's photo below), what year is your donor?
HPIM4485.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back