• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

San Francisco in a couple of weeks - First time

blu67

Headed out on June 21-23. Anyone have suggestions on what I should try and check out? I have some time to myself and have never been there. I know I want to take the Alcatraz tour on Saturday morning but not sure about anything else. I won't have transportation so it should be relatively close to downtown.

I know you nor-cal guys have some suggestions........

Get reservations for Alcatraz tour. Don't expect to show up and get there.

I'll be on the road by then so can't help with being a guide.

Chris:

Have you ever heard of "Beach Blanket Babylon"? It's a comedy show (massively funny) at the Club Fugazi in North Beach that has been playing for many years with each week being tweaked with current news events. The show is closing permanently at the end of the year as the producer's widow is ready to retire. I've seen it few times over the years and I commend it highly.

Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli square, Lombard street, Haight and Ashbury, and the world famous Irish coffee at the Buena Vista.
And that big farkin bridge. I had a blast there. It ain't cheap

Ok. Decided to check out Alcatraz (got ticket) and the USS Pampanito WWII submarine. I've been on an aircraft carrier (Midway) and a battleship (USS Iowa). Thought I would add a submarine to the list. (I was familiar with the Pampanito since I worked on a WWII sub movie a few years ago but never got to see it in person.)

Ok. Decided to check out Alcatraz (got ticket) and the USS Pampanito WWII submarine. I've been on an aircraft carrier (Midway) and a battleship (USS Iowa). Thought I would add a submarine to the list. (I was familiar with the Pampanito since I worked on a WWII sub movie a few years ago but never got to see it in person.)
How was the tour of the Midway? We are leaving for San Diego tomorrow and it's on my list.

We have a Maritime museum near us with a wwII submarine USS Cobia, and it's pretty cool to go through.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I’ve been to the Midway twice. My uncle actually served on it in the early 70’s. His actual A-3 with his squadron insignia is still on the deck...so cool. Look for it. He flew EA-6B’s as well but just not the one on the deck. I want to go back with him and hear some interesting stories the next time he is in town.
dfdb82e10da180d5ac187bc1ee8b5dcb.jpg

Definitely get the tour of the control room. Sometimes there’s a little wait but worth it. It’s also cool to eat on the elevators where they have set up tables. Have a great time and listen to the docents whenever they stop to tell stories. Some are pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I worked in the area I went to the Winchester house in San Jose. Yes, that Winchester. The museum in the ticket area is remarkable, did not know about all the other items made by Winchester. There is an outbuilding converted to a display for all the different arms Winchester produced. Very impressive. The tour of the farmhouse and the details are well worth an afternoon. IIRC the ticket was pricey twenty years ago.

I always enjoy walking around Chinatown.
Fisherman's Wharf as mentioned
There is also the Presidio and The Disney Family Museum .

Cool. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. We have Sunday to ourselves before we fly back so may have to hit up a couple of these places. Always wanted to go to the Winchester House....

Back