• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Sanding scratches and covering them with epoxy primer?

Coupe

Is it wrong to spray epoxy over sanding scratches and block them flat? I have some areas that I used heavy grit to cut the filler down and I did not finish it with the finer stuff. Am I going to get telegraphing of scratches over time if I continue? Should I just sand the area down to the filler and smooth before any more primer?

Thank you. :shrug

It sounds like I need to sand off the epoxy and finish the underlying filler then...drat.
I was going to cover it with 2k and finish sand, I guess not.
Thanks.

Can't you apply a bit of filler over the epoxy, sand correctly, and re-apply the epoxy over the affected area? Or are the deep scratches pretty much everywhere?

just scuff the area with a scotchbrite bad & go over the scratches with a light coat of polyester putty. after you sand the polyester, you can then topcoat with your 2K & start the finish block sanding. it doesn't take a heavy coat of polyester putty, just a really light coat heavy enough to fill the scratches, pinholes etc. if a small area, i usually use a razorblade to spread the poly. you might even want to spot in with more epoxy to seal it good before the 2k.

Good advice with the razor blade, I my try that. I know once I get the 2k blocked and the car recoated with epoxy you will not see anything, and the car will sit like that for months but I don't know what it would do once paint is on and the sun hits it.

I want it to be right, so I will either sand that area smooth or glaze it. The weird thing is my glaze is harder to sand than dura glass?

Glaze should be fairly easy to sand.

I always sand my filler work out to 180 before priming it.

Using primer to cover sand scratches will cause them to eventually show through. Epoxy might be more forgiving than 2k but I would not chance it. It's been my experience that sanding epoxy sucks way more ass than 2k products.

"Coupe" said:
I want it to be right, so I will either sand that area smooth or glaze it.

hit it first with a long block ( i use a pair of good paint sticks glued together) & 180 grit. if it sands out, fine, you were high in that spot anyways. if it doesnt sand out, its a low spot & will need a recoat of filler to get it right.

Seems like if the epoxy is as hard as everyone says it is, why would it shrink? I'm with you though, worth asking about.

If you are talking about SPI primer, I'd also ask on the SPI board...

Back