• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

screw in ball joint for adjustable strut rod?

65-408

Hey John, have you ever considered using a screw in ball joint on the body side of an adjustable strut rod? I'm thinking you weld a sleeve into the strut rod bracket, screw in the ball joint, then have a turnbuckle to connect the ball joint to a modified (cut and threaded) strut rod? seems like it would be simpler than some of the clevis/rod end designs out there...

you think it would work?

Just an idea I had...

Anything is possible. One thing to consider though is that most ball joints are only meant to be loaded in one direction, not both. A strut rod will see both pushing and pulling forces. Bajj joints that are designed to work both ways are WAY more expensive than a quality heim bearing that achieves the same objective.

I did work on that idea a few years ago but bailed on it. It would work but the rod end strut rods work great already. Shaun is right about the load path to the ball joint. I have 3-4 different strut rod designs of my own. I never put any on the market because it is fludded with them already.

Back