• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Seasoning cast iron

• Thread starter opentrackerSteve
  • Start date
O

opentrackerSteve

I've been doing some research on seasoning cast iron cookware and came across this blog/website and thought you'd like to know about it.

Apparently, flaxseed oil (edible linseed oil) is the best for seasoning cast iron. I have not used it in the past (I've used canola) and will use it on my cast iron grates once my bbq lid arrives.

Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To

I've always used Crisco and baked them on 350 for a few minutes, then let'em cool in the oven slowly. I have a cornbread skillet that I dare anyone to touch it. I know I've had it for 10 or so years without ever washing it. If it was washed, it would have to be re-seasoned. Interesting article though.

Interesting. I have noticed that veggie oils are sticky when left to sit. For new cast iron. I have always used chicken or bacon fat. Bacon fat has more salt in it and like chicken fat better. I have a new 8 and 10" skillet, I think I will try flax seed oil in one of then and chicken fat in the other and see which I like better. A good seasoned skillet never need to be washed and will just wipe clean.

Man, I getting hungry again.

there are a lot of comments on that site and it looks like you must be very careful with the flaxseed oil - too much you get splotches.

I pulled out my dutch over lid (flip it over and it becomes a skillet) and it has a jet black seasoning on it - I don't think I'll experiment with it, I'll start with the butter skillet (about 4 inches in diameter).

The other cool tip is to remove the seasoning, put it in the over on the self clean cycle and voila - seasoning is gone!

"opentrackerSteve" said:
The other cool tip is to remove the seasoning, put it in the over on the self clean cycle and voila - seasoning is gone!
I will have to try that with the griddle that is sticky from my kids attempt to season it with veggie oil.

First you need to cook on it. Then you need to clean it with a little dab of oil and kosher salt.

Then wipe off the salt. And then put the pain away.

A couple times of this and you will have a new favorite pan.

Mel

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back