• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Seated the rings on the new motor yesterday...

Shaun

Dropped the rebuilt 289 lump into the car a few weeks ago, then went to England for 2 weeks. Got back last Wednesday and have been bloody jet lagged since, everyone in the house is up at 3-4am! I only had chance for a few street miles so I paid my money and crossed my fingers. Car ran and drove absolutely fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/user/StreetorTra ... cgbNf1iGBM

It rained in the morning so I skipped the first session and let the nutters on street rubber dry up the track. Ran 4 sessions after that. Another fellow early Mustang guy broke a spindle. He was running a 245 wide R6 on the small spindle. DOH!

I've been trying out a few new tracks this year and I've also had a few issues with the car that have stopped me putting in a full day. This was the first time out at a track I knew after all the chassis mod work I did in the winter. It flat out rocked! The seat is awesome, fits me great. I no longer have aching core muscles after a long day, the seat hugs me, lets my backside feel the chassis and my arms just steer instead of holding me in the seat. The chassis is way stiffer, I can point and shoot the car where I want it. The rebuilt motor has quite a bit more power than the old build so that was fun. Set a new personal best of 1:23.7 which is a couple of seconds quicker than last years time. I did add 20mm more rubber to each corner but I attribute most of the gains to the seat. I have much more confidence now I can instantly feel what the car is doing under me.

The motor seems to be holding together nicely. I babied it down the back straight a few times and shifted to 4th but a few laps let it rip to 6500rpm in 3rd. No leaks and it stayed cool. Maybe my luck has changed for the better this year and I might try sneaking off to Mid-Ohio in October.

Vintage Iron RULES!! Nice job Shaun and the motor sounds badarse.

Thanks guys! It was nice completing an entire day for the first time this year. I've been doing this so long I've finally started wearing out some of the older components. Been having a weird electrical/charging problem lately. I'll keep throwing time and money at it. Eventually it will get sorted!

Back