• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Selene/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang

abrahamfh

:run Everyone told me I was crazy and to run away. I found my dream car sitting in a shack rusting away neglected for the last 15 years. Got what I thought was a good deal but having no previous experience in restoring anything I have been officially told I have a pretty big project ahead of me. Since purchasing the car on 7/21/2009 I have done nothing but mistake after mistake but with the help of some very helpfull people on a couple different sites I am starting to learn a few things. The reason behind the name of the car was my crush on Kate Beckinsale which started while watching underworld and thinking, that super hot chick can totally kick my a$$ and I like it. My three year old son on the other hand loves the Pixar film Cars and named him Fred after the rusty car who's bumper falls off when Lightning McQueen said hi to him. I will start off presenting some photographs of the first day I got her and photographs of the process leading up to the present.

B.T.W. I am very open to suggestions and look forward to hearing from you all. Just an F.Y.I. I don't get my feelings hurt to easily and I would like as much input as possible to make sure I get her done right (right, meaning, quality work and help in making the right choices for her purpose of being enjoyed) from this point on. Thanks everyone.

DSC_1141.jpg

DSC_1142.jpg

DSC_1154.jpg

DSC_1144.jpg

DSC_1183.jpg

I began oddly enough with the removal of the radiator, I have no idea why. I then decided I should start removing the interior. Started taking out the seats, the floor carpet, the headliner, the dash pad and then proceeded to tear into the seats.

DSC_1241.jpg

DSC_1249.jpg

DSC_1151.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Saleen/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang C code

Nice project. Looks fairly solid. Nice to see a classic saved.

This is probably one of my favorite pictures of all time:

index.php

your Stang looks like the oposite of what mine was. It looks worse than it really is. Glad to see the pics.

"hivewax" said:
selling the Corvette to fund Saleen/Fred?? :cool

Thats not Saleen/Fred, its a different car. Its an old picture that someone (AzPete, IIRC) posted on the VMF once, I saved it cuz I thought it was cool.

Its not a picture of Selene/Fred but I wouldn't have a Chevy in my driveway. Come to mention it I don't have a driveway either. :vio If I did have a spare car I would definitely sell it to fix her up in a heartbeat.

Sorry Sacbill, pun was intended (I wasnt sure to specify or not). I just recently noticed Chevy calls themselves the heartbeat of America.

I'd say it looks pretty solid. A lot of work to be sure, but doable. Gotta love them coupes. Panel alignment looks pretty good too. Now get us some progress pics. :toot :toot

"Fast68back" said:
Thats not Saleen/Fred, its a different car.

looked the same to me. :wtf after a double take, i see primer differences. :pick

Once the seats and flooring we're removed this is what revealed itself. :roulette

There is a 6"x6" hole on the PS floor, a 3"x3" hole on the DS floor and there is what looks to be a 20"x12" fiberglass patch for the entire PS rear floor. :wtf

DSC_1386.jpg

DSC_1459.jpg

010.jpg

The upholstery was very bad so I removed everything down to the wire frames, wire brushed the rust, treated them with a rust converter and then used some black Rustoleom rattle can paint. The DS bottom seat frame was the only unsalvagable piece

DSC_1490.jpg

DSC_1497.jpg

DSC_1554.jpg

DSC_1416.jpg

DSC_2084.jpg

DSC_2089.jpg

Re: Salene/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang C code

Wow, almost a shame to cover those things up. Let me know when you get ready to cover them, I got about 2000 hog rings left over from the bag Sanborn sent me.....

Thank you very much Fast68back for the offer, I will keep it in mind when the time comes, I hope sooner than later. My completion goal with this car is to hopefully have it done by the time I have to drop off the little guy at his first day of school, but again want to make sure I do it right the first time.

You know Abe..... those floors really don't look too bad. The toe boards still appear painted/solid. With the pictures I'm seeing, I wouldn't replace the entire floor. I'd grab the zizz-wheel, cut out the rotted metal into probably something resembling a rectangle/square and then butt weld in a patch panel.

How bad is the passenger side rear floor board? Have you pulled up the FG "board" yet?

What about frame rails and trunk panels?

Rear quarter panels?

I will take pics and post ASAP, had to re-pipe the house so all the furniture and junk that makes up the house is surrounding the car. Had the day off because I'm working the weekend so everything is going back in now so as soon as I clear the car I will jump in and post those pics.

Just out of curiosity, which is the FG board?

Just out of curiosity, which is the FG board?

You stated that the rear passenger side floor board had a sheet of fiberglass applied to it..... what is underneath the fiberglass (FG)?

Thank you for the FG explanation. I tried looking everywhere for what it stood for. LoL

So I checked out what was under the FG patch and what a surprise. :expl NOTHING. Absolutely no metal. Yeesh

DSC_2099-1.jpg

Here are some more pics.

Rear DS floor
DSC_2098.jpg

Rear seat platforms
DSC_2100.jpg

PS
DSC_2102.jpg

DS
DSC_2103.jpg

Trunk Pan
PS
DSC_2105.jpg

DS
DSC_2106.jpg

Abe,

The rust doesn't look that bad. Granted, a lot of little areas will need to be fixed, but from the pictures most of the rust appears to be just surface rust and not rot.

Re: Selene/Fred is a San Jose built 1965 Mustang C code

Just bought a 4.5" grinder and will pick up a wire wheel on my home and get going on the floor. I guess we will see.

The cost of a new full floor pan was a little nerve wrecking and thanks for chiming in everyone.

As of now its looking like a few patches here and there and a Rear PS floor pan.

Back