• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Selling coins and bills

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
Going through moms safe. Mom was in banking most of her life, from starting out as a teller to operations manager and many other titles in between. But as a teller money would pass by her and if something unusual was being deposited, she would buy it. 50 dollar Gold certificate is a good example. Lots of Silver notes and silver coins. Just a few spot checks, and there is several thousand dollars in value of bills and coins. But where is the best place to sell? I suppose ebay, dealing with the bidding and shipping. But is it worth the hassle? This is something down the road, I just like to plan ahead.

She had a lot of my stuff in there as well. Air Force discharge papers, shot records, savings bonds now worth close to a grand (45 years old), SS card form minus the card (I have the card) Dads Army papers. My mom did not throw paperwork away.

So to recap. Anyone sell silver coins? Where is a good place?

fd

6925D610-F3E8-4825-A8E0-C5B05C9635A9.jpeg
That is some of it. Bag of silver coins. The coins in the cases came from my grandfather, mom’s dad. Yes it is nice, but I am not a coin collector.

fd

Most old bills, unless they are close to uncirculated do not go for more than the face value (except the gold certificate). The coins, look for the rare dates.
I did this with my MIL collection when she died. Tool a lot of the silver cirtificates and spent them here and there to see peoples eyes bug out when you give them it. I packed the common coins into lots and sold on ebay (I started them at scrap silver prices).

Tim, There has to be a coin shop in SoCal. Go there and ask for their input. Check the exact coin/paper online. Most people think old things are really worth big $...most times they're not. You know some say they have a Mustang and think its worth over $60k but upon seeing it you know the rusting hulk isn't worth much. Same with coins.
I'd say keep the collection and pass it on to your kids.
As for Savings Bonds....don't forget to put some of that cash-in aside for taxes.

Yes find a local coin and dollar appraiser. Don't go to a coin shop. They would under appraise you to try to buy your stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I've seen some videos on coins and bills from a reseller/collector. Kind of strange some of the things that are valuable.

Lots of good advice here. I agree on finding someone who can give you an appraisal and that same person can point you in the right direction.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Most old bills, unless they are close to uncirculated do not go for more than the face value (except the gold certificate). The coins, look for the rare dates.
I did this with my MIL collection when she died. Tool a lot of the silver cirtificates and spent them here and there to see peoples eyes bug out when you give them it. I packed the common coins into lots and sold on ebay (I started them at scrap silver prices).
Agreed about the silver coins, most will be worth melt value. Check for rare dates. The silver certificates may be easy to sell on eBay. I hesitate to sell any high value items on eBay, it's far too easy for buyers to scam a seller. All they have to do is say the item was SNAD (significantly not as described) and they get a refund and send you back something different from what you sent. Best would be to find a reputable coin dealer or appraiser. That $20 Hawaii note is cool. During WWII they used those notes in Hawaii. If the currency fell into enemy hands it could be easily demonetized.

Back