• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

sequence of interior installation

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Getting to the point of no return so here goes the first of many questions. Regarding interior panels and carpeting, which one goes in first? I drove down and looked at KBMWRS's car to get a pretty clear idea as far as sequence of which panels go first, 2nd, 3rd but didn't inquire on the carpeting itself.

I'd think carpet being first so the lower panels can push up against any excess carpeting. It would also prevent me from having to pull out the lower edges of the bottom panels in order to cram the excess carpeting underneath.

Carpet is definitely first. Sill panels are last.

Well, opening up an adult beverage is truly the last item to perform...

No, Craig, if you open the Adult mag too early, the building will cease. Boy you really do need help with sequencing...but then that is a whole new topic.

Craig, the fiberglass interior goes together before carpet. The carpet gets glued to the bottom of the quarter trim panels. You have to be careful trimming the carpet there for it to fit right.

Before you do any of this, make absolutely sure you have all your lights/speaker/amp/fuel sending unit/etc/etc wiring installed and function checked. Once this is all together, and you realize you forgot something, you are yanking it all out again to run a wire.

Start in the rear corners with the lower panels. They get riveted on near the trap door (as does the piece over the trap door). Then the large quarter trim panels go on. Then do the upper corner pieces in the rear, then the piece over the trap door. Then do the vent covers, then the pieces that cover the rear of the headliner. Then go back with the 1" metal trim strips.

BUT WAIT, I missed something.

Although that is the sequence for the panels, you also have the fold down seat to install. The latches for the seat need to go on before the large quarter trim panels. And, since those latches are adjustable, you will want to set the large quarter trim panels in place, bolt the seat in place, and flip it up to make sure the latches engage. If the latches don't engage and/or you get the seat rubbing on the quarter trim panels, you need to adjust the hinges that bolt the seat to the floor and/or adjust the latches on the inner wheelhouse. I pulled mine apart 3 times before I got everything to fit right, latches engaged, and the seat not rubbing on the fiberglass. Get one of those NorCal guys to help, as its very easy to scratch the fiberglass with the seat.

After all the fiberglass is in and together, you can finish the fold down assembly with the rear panel and the trap door. Sequence does't really matter but its easier to get the rear carpeted panel in without the trap door in the way. Be careful installing the trap door, as you need to make sure it doesn't rub on the fiberglass panel above it when it is flipped up. You may not intend on doing that with the speakers, but if its not adjust right, it only takes one guy at a show asking you how that works and you demo the flip up and scratch your interior panel where it rubs. Almost all of the bolted pieces (as opposed to ones that use interior screws) have slotted holes for some sort of adjustment.

As stated, carpet gets glued to the face of the quarter trim panel at the bottom. There is a distinct contour line where below that line the carpet is glued, above that line no carpet.

After the carpet is in, put on your kick panels. In the process of installing the carpet, make sure you cut out the holes for the seats and seat belts unless you want to have to ask somebody for measurements on where to put them!

Door sills go on last.

Sam,
Thanks for the detailed reply. It stopped me in my tracks of planning this. I totally forgot about the carpet being glued on the lower panels.

Craig

Craig, the fiberglass interior goes together before carpet.

Craig,

Sam's on crack. The floor carpeting DOES go in before the rear interior FG pieces, if not, you'll have to pry the bottoms of the lower FG pieces away from the body/floor in order to get the floor carpeting underneath them. It can be done, but it's a PITA. Install the floor carpeting first, it'll be much easier.

Dave,
You might be thinking of a 65/66 application for even the osborne interior book for 68 shows the carpeting being glued to the lower front section of the rear quarter panels.

Keep in mind that since the back piece of carpet stops just a couple inches after it goes under the rear seat, I could infact install the carpeting before and just leave the back portion of the back piece not finished and pull it away when I install the rear quarter panels.

But to me there is no real advantage of installing the carpeting first.

The 68 kit I have is finished (dont know the technical term) around the panels and there were two pieces that get glued to the FG piece at the bottom.

Here is a shot without the piece glued on to the panels

2_27_09_08_7_26_21_2.JPG

2_27_09_08_7_26_21_1.JPG

"daveSanborn" said:
Craig,

Sam's on crack. The floor carpeting DOES go in before the rear interior FG pieces, if not, you'll have to pry the bottoms of the lower FG pieces away from the body/floor in order to get the floor carpeting underneath them. It can be done, but it's a PITA. Install the floor carpeting first, it'll be much easier.

Au contraire Dave, respect the crack pipe. On 68's the carpet goes over the fiberglass. The fastback carpet kit I got from NPD did not have a separate piece for over the fiberglass, so mine is one continuous piece that I trimmed to fit the fiberglass as shown below.

427_03_09_10_12_40_11_0.jpg

It's possible I am wrong, but I'm sticking to my statement.

It's my understanding that the rear piece of the two-piece carpet "kit" installs underneath the large FG side panels.... and then two smaller pieces (that should also come with the carpet kit for 2+2's and Fastbacks) should be glued onto the bottom ~4" of the FG panels.

Please show me a reference where I've been wrong all of these years.

Now girls........Lets have a couple beers to cool off.

Dave, you raised a flag in my little ole noggin when you said two small pieces. I remember getting two little pieces but thought that was a fluke or they were suppose to be part of the rear folding seat carpeting so I just stashed them away. Well guess what, they do fit the lower recessed part of the quarter trim panels and looking more closely to the drawing in the osborne book, it does look like they were (Damn! I can hear you saying right about now "LOL I told you smucks so") referring to two small pieces being glued to the panels.

Unfortunately, it gets even better (for Dave that is), for I just threw in the back floor piece and right at the corner I have a finish stitched edge that hugs the floor only. No excess that would then curve upwards to cover the bottom edge of the quarter trim panel.

Damaging pics shown here :po

4_03_09_10_1_38_22_0.JPG

4_03_09_10_1_38_22_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Enough chatter, off I go ripping into Shag's interior for the weekend. Anyone gets bored and want to help, you'll know where to find me.

If you have the bound edges and extra piece already cut, you're golden go with carpet first.

Not sure what happened with mine, like I said, it came as a fastback set but the extra pieces weren't already cut off. Wonder if it was related to the color, not many guys ordering green carpet for their fastback?

I was going to ask who you all got your carpet from since everybody else seems to have gotten a kit with little pieces for the fiberglass, but supposedly all the vendors get their carpet from ACC one way or another, regardless of whose name is on the box or who the middle man is. Wonder what the difference is, perhaps I got a coupe kit mislabled as a fastback kit and didn't know better that it was the wrong stuff. Odd though that the coupe would have so much extra carpet there in the corner that conveniently fit over the fiberglass.

I ain't gonna say anything. Sam meant well based upon what he experienced. It's not like he was purposely trying to give mis-information. I'm glad it all worked out Craig.

Here you go Sam..... LOL

154396d1250423869-hayabusa-killer-crack_pipe.jpg

Back