• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

(SERIOSLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION) 65 rear suspension removal

abrahamfh

So, Fred is still stuck in NorCAL awaiting transport to SoCAL but I havn't stopped thinking about working on her.

Any who, someone recently was looking for instruction on how to remove their rear suspension. Even though I can't work on Fred doesn't mean I can't help. I remembered that one of the last few things I did was remove the rear suspension and decided to look for the pics. Well here it is and I hope it helps.

If you havnt already, I would a day or two before tackling the project, heat up all the bolts and nuts that will be involved as well as soak them with a penetrating lubricant like PB Blast.

If the Mustang isn't already up in the air supported with jacks, this would be the second thing to do.

My drive line was already removed, so the next thing to do would be disengaging the drive line from the rear end.

Choose your jack stand location wisely, make sure they are not in the way of your work space as mine kind of were.

IMG_8671.jpg

I then proceeded to lift up the rear end and place jacks under it for support.

IMG_8675.jpg

Once the shocks were a little compressed I was able to unscrew them very easily from the access holes from above located on the transition hump from the cabin to the trunk.

IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8681.jpg

IMG_8683.jpg

IMG_8687.jpg

IMG_8693.jpg

IMG_8694.jpg

IMG_8695.jpg

IMG_8696.jpg

IMG_8697.jpg