• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shift Indicator Light Assemblies Keep Failing

Hi:

I have a 65 289 automatic, and I am on my third replacement shift indicator light assembly (this is the assembly that includes a bullet shaped capsule which snaps onto the shift lever and contains a bulb inside). For some reason, all these repro. assemblies work for only less than a day and then the connections go bad to the bullet assembly and a plastic assembly inside the bullet casing sort of melts onto the bulb. Jiggling the wiring into the assembly works for a while, then it stops working. It's the world's simplest thing yet impossible to fix. If there was too much power going in, I would think the bulb would blow first. Any ideas? I am thinking about trying an original, used one next, or just not worrying about it. I am also wondering whether using they used a different bulb in 65 which avoided the problem altogether.

Cheers,
/s/ Chris Kennedy

If the problem is just the single wire inside, I don't see why you couldn't make your own wire with a good insulation. Then again I probably am overlooking something.

Chris,
Can you post a pic of your light? I might have found an original in my stash.

Thanks! I think I can do this, but I duck/duct taped off part of the wires that are the problem. Still, I think it will be clear enough. You know, there is something sort of humorous about this problem. The thing is so simple and inconsequential in the scheme of things, yet the failure is so total! I really appreciate your response!

/s/ Chris

Duct tape is permissible, but not wire nuts!

Thank you for looking out for my mental welfare.

Hi, everyone:

I think I have this solved! I ordered an excellent used original shift indicator light assembly from Mustangs Etc. out in California, and used the 1445 bulb, which is maybe a tiny bit shorter (maybe not) than than the usual bulb which is recommended and dimmer (but not TOO dim at night). Anyhow, what I think was happening with the new assemblies was that the heat from the bulbs tended to melt and ultimately break a plastic part of the socket assembly which abutted the bulb and was pressed against it by a spring. If the usual bulb is a bit longer than the 1445, then this may have put some extra pressure on the plastic. It appears that the original assembly seems to have been made from tougher stuff, and all appears well now. Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's help!

Thanks,
/s/ Chris :thu

Thanks! Yeah, it was one of those weird things.....the 46 year old electrical feed was just fine, it was the new assemblies that were the problem.

/s/ Chris

I know you posted that you fixed the problem, but you might consider one of those replacement LED type bulbs. They are considerably cooler and brighter than the old gear shift bulb. Many sizes are available on Ebay and many have free shipping.

Back