• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shifter knob

RustyRed

Stupid question probably but is there supposed to be some sort of spring in an automatic shifter button so that when you push it in to select a gear it returns back to the "out" position?

My shifter has been having issues and I figured it out this evening. The pawl is not coming down enough on the plate at the bottom because of the button in the handle. If I take the handle off and move the ball with my hand it works great but if I put the handle back on the button sticks at the pushed in position for lack of a better way to describe it....currently you have to make darn sure no one bumps the gear shift handle when you are driving.

Yes there is a spring in there. Guys help me out here I know someone has a picture of how it should go together.

Mel

If nobody else steps up I'll snap some pictures tonight. I'm fairly certain the spring is not inside the handle, though...I seem to remember the roller being the thing that returns the button back to it's "out" position, using the spring inside the shifter...but I misremember all sorts of facts. None the less, I'll snap some pictures tonight.

With the handle off, does the pawl spring back into the detents? Mine doesn't have the top handle installed, but the little roller-actuator-thing is still spring loaded.

I believe that you are correct Steve. I recently replaced the shifter in the wife's '65, and the spring was down at the bottom of the shifter. In the handle, there is a roller that moves the button back to the out position.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
With the handle off, does the pawl spring back into the detents? Mine doesn't have the top handle installed, but the little roller-actuator-thing is still spring loaded.

It works great on mine when the handle is off but when I put it on the button sticks.

I was mainly wondering if I should order the whole handle or maybe just a new button.

CRAP! I forgot to go take some pictures. Damn I'm sorry.

I'd figure out why that button is sticking...the roller's spring-loaded returning mechanism should be returning the button. If it's not, then I just guess the button is sticking? Since the metal is metal, and the button is mostly plastic, I would imagine the button would be the first part to fail, and likely has some sort of deformation that prevents it from sliding in and out smoothly.

With the handle off, when you slide it in and out does the button seem smooth and free, or is it sticking and "stuttering"? It should slide in and out very easily.

Do you still need these pictures? I totally SUCK and completely forgot. Please let me know if you still need these. Or did you figure it out?

I took the shifter knob off and messed with it a bit and it seems "better" but not great. If you put it in park and jiggle it a little it stays better than it did and the button releases at least.

Haven't had time to think about it much though...been too busy with other things the last few (or 10) days to have much time for tinkering with the Mustang.

Wondering if ordering a new shifter button would solve the issue....I think it's about $5 at Johns Mustang but I hate to place an order if I only need the one small part. My buddy that runs a restoration shop just got in a '66 coupe that he is going to redo for a customer. When he is doing Mustangs he has been known to drive over to John's and pick up parts, especially since this latest one is going to need some large parts such as quarters. I might tell him next time he's over there to pick one up for me. Since he is going anyway it works better if he picks up small parts for me then I pay him back plus a couple bucks gas money.

Someone gave me the bushing kit for the whole shifter / linkage a while back but it just hasn't seemed worth the trouble to tear it apart. When I pull the transmission I might get a wild hair and install the bushings.

Back