• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shop Left My Car Outside, Now The Carpet Is Soaked

CUAviator

"I wanna go fast..."
I live in VABeach/Norfolk and my '65 Fastback is currently in the shop getting its new transmission. Over the past few weeks (beginning of Feb), we have had a ton of rain and snow. Fast forward to today, I stopped by the shop to check on my car and noticed the floors inside were soaked. They mentioned that it had been left outside and the rain caught them off guard and noticed it was leaking. WTF.

So what I am asking is - what do I do about it? They still have the car. I'm totally p***ed.

Call your insurance and make a claim against them for interior? Not sure if they would handle that.
do you have the car back?

Call your insurance and make a claim against them for interior? Not sure if they would handle that.
do you have the car back?

I like that idea. I don’t have the car back yet. And I’m afraid the inside will be dry by that time. But the undermatting will most definitely be ruined.

The repair shop should have insurance to cover claims like this. Have your insurance company contact their insurance company, and let the agents duke it out.
On the other hand, the cost to replace the carpet is probably less than your comprehensive deductible...

I'd be more worried about possible incipient rust developing on the floor boards.

Why is the inside wet? Cowl leaking? Windows left down? If its the cowl, I don't think any insurance company will cover that.

I’m actually not exactly sure where it’s leaking. I think it may be from the windshield.

Did you know it had a leak and tell them to keep it indoors? If not, I doubt there is much you can do. Sucks, but not many cars have leak troubles anymore and I doubt they even think about that. Sure, people like US are used to it, but for the most part, you're talking about working with morons.

It’s a classic car restoration shop. It’s pretty much all they think about. But yes, I did tell them. AND, the owner said “we keep the cars inside as a courtesy to our customers”. Ergo, I thought I would have been extended that courtesy.

It’s a classic car restoration shop. It’s pretty much all they think about. But yes, I did tell them. AND, the owner said “we keep the cars inside as a courtesy to our customers”. Ergo, I thought I would have been extended that courtesy.

You're golden then. Time for the shop to pay up!

First things first, the blame game is secondary to your car's health.

By that I mean, Most importantly, pay the shop for the work they've done and get the car home. Take out the seats and take out the carpet. That is the best thing to do to mitigate any MORE damage, and successfully determine what rust repairs you need NOW. The sooner the better. Once that's done you can proceed with damages claim.

The worst thing you can do is let the car sit at the repair shop, unattended, while that carpet is soakin' wet. Remember, "rust never sleeps" as Neil Young and Rustoleum have told us many times.

Z

Maybe I'm different (shut up {.}) but I wouldn't get too worked up about this. A soggy carpet will dry and not need replaced. This sounds a lot like a leaky cowl for which the shop has no liability. Nor are they required to keep your car indoors unless you specifically instructed such and they agreed. Better news is rust doesn't destroy metal overnight. First surface rust will develop and it takes time, lots of it to do any real damage.

Pay for the work when finished and take it home and pull the seats and carpet as suggested. Clean up the floor pan(s) removing any surface rust that might have developed and then start making the necessary repairs or improvements. I highly suggest treating the floor to some coating that will protect the metal from future water infiltration. Unless you fix that leaky cowl a sudden shower or such WILL get you someday. A good 2K epoxy will work or maybe go a step further and lay down a spray liner/sound-deadener and get extra benefit from your effort.

Back