• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Should I pull a "Terry"?

should I pull a "Terry"?

• Total voters

tarafied1

I have had a big block in my 67 since 1990. The car is primarily used for cruising and things like the Hot Rod Power Tour. I have continually upgraded the power and have broken things like transmissions, differentials, etc. With the big block, keeping it cool in traffic is a challenge and there is no practical way to add AC.
So I have been considering a small block with EFI and adding AC to make the car more cruising friendly. It will not be as "cool" since pretty much every classic has a small block but there is nothing wrong with a one and it will be easier to maintain, keep cool and add things like AC. and EFI. Not much support for the 385 series and since it was never an option in this body, my choices are limited. What do you all think?

I have had a big block in my 67 since 1990. The car is primarily used for cruising and things like the Hot Rod Power Tour. I have continually upgraded the power and have broken things like transmissions, differentials, etc. With the big block, keeping it cool in traffic is a challenge and there is no practical way to add AC.
So I have been considering a small block with EFI and adding AC to make the car more cruising friendly. It will not be as "cool" since pretty much every classic has a small block but there is nothing wrong with a one and it will be easier to maintain, keep cool and add things like AC. and EFI. Not much support for the 385 series and since it was never an option in this body, my choices are limited. What do you all think?
Bring a cooler with ice water

I agree, keep the big block. If cooling is that big of an issue, you might try something more exotic for the radiator. Maybe see if you can fit a really nice cross-flow aluminum unit in there with a serious electric fan (ie. Mk VII) to keep the air moving at idle.

I agree, keep the big block. If cooling is that big of an issue, you might try something more exotic for the radiator. Maybe see if you can fit a really nice cross-flow aluminum unit in there with a serious electric fan (ie. Mk VII) to keep the air moving at idle.
I think they make dual pass. Also with the wider opening for the radiator, I believe they make high CFM twins. You may need to get a bigger alternator

Put a window AC unit in your back window with a long extension cord.

Put a window AC unit in your back window with a long extension cord.
Its a long drive. Forget the extension cord and bolt a generator onto your boot.
top-10-worst-diy-car-repairs-air-conditioning-repair-03.jpg

Put a late model 5.0 in it.
I have a 94 Cobra short block. Some ported 1966 289 heads with screw-in studs and guide plates. The short block has an E303 cam and I have roller rockers. I was going to put it in my 65 which I recently sold so now it is just sitting there on the engine stand. It still has the rear sump and the timing chain cover for EFI. But Bill gave me a timing chain cover for a front sump and I have a 65 289 oil pan. I also have Hooker long tube headers for a 65/66. My TKO would work with the 5.0 but I would need a new bell housing, clutch and presser plate. I would need an intake, motor mounts, carb and stuff like that.
Now I am torn. The car's identity is partly the big block. I have lived with the struggle of spark plugs and header bolts access issues as well as the low to no hood clearance. The running hot i traffic issues, the massive torque breaking parts and nose heavy handling and so on for 27 years. What got me thinking about it is I have to pull the engine to change the motor mounts. I have new mounts to lower the engine and move it back for the TKO. So I was thinking if I wanted to swap it that would be a good time.
My other thought is to notch the shock towers while the engine is out. That might gain a little access to the plugs and header bolts.

I say keep the big block. The only motor you should look into swapping the 460 for is the voodoo 5.2

I have a 94 Cobra short block. Some ported 1966 289 heads with screw-in studs and guide plates. The short block has an E303 cam and I have roller rockers. I was going to put it in my 65 which I recently sold so now it is just sitting there on the engine stand. It still has the rear sump and the timing chain cover for EFI. But Bill gave me a timing chain cover for a front sump and I have a 65 289 oil pan. I also have Hooker long tube headers for a 65/66. My TKO would work with the 5.0 but I would need a new bell housing, clutch and presser plate. I would need an intake, motor mounts, carb and stuff like that.
Now I am torn. The car's identity is partly the big block. I have lived with the struggle of spark plugs and header bolts access issues as well as the low to no hood clearance. The running hot i traffic issues, the massive torque breaking parts and nose heavy handling and so on for 27 years. What got me thinking about it is I have to pull the engine to change the motor mounts. I have new mounts to lower the engine and move it back for the TKO. So I was thinking if I wanted to swap it that would be a good time.
My other thought is to notch the shock towers while the engine is out. That might gain a little access to the plugs and header bolts.
This. Notch the towers a bit. The 5.0 you describe will let you down considerably from a performance standpoint. Hell, the one in my car now (for the next few days) that I built is a 10.5:1 little butt kicker and I already knew I wanted more. Isn't there some saying about once you go BB or something you can't go back?

I would do the small block (My 351W has more power than I need). Add AC and do a nice 5 speed. That would make it a great PT car. Use you BB for that drag car you have always wanted. Plus loosing that front end weight would make the car handle better and not plow corners at speed.

Craig, I know how much you like that 429 and how different it makes your car but I also know how much your wife would like cold conditioned air blowing in her face.
Gotta keep the wife happy.

Back