• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Show off your Shifter!

Coleman

I am looking at shifter handles for my 67. The top of the late model tranny exits in the original position. I like the HURST chrome stick with HURST stamped on the side. Saw this one on ebay and like. The problem is its a "universal handle" and want to see if anyone else has a specific part number that works. If you have a pic and source please post. Thanks!

I think you'll find the 8022 stick to be too tall and too far back. The 7436 or 4106 sticks seem to be most popular for Mustang.

This info from my old VMF post should help...

http://www.mrgasket.com/ftp/pdf/ShifterSticks.pdf

Most people find that the stock-style late-model shifter sticks are too much of a "reach" when a T5 is swapped into an early model car. I did a little research a while back and found several alternatives from Hurst. These looked like the best fits. I think most people will want 8" - 10" in height, and 3" - 7" of curve back.

5380015 - 8" up, 3" back, chrome steel, 3/8-16 thread
5380100 - 10" up, 4.75" back, chrome steel, 3/8-16 thread
5380178 - 8" up, 3" back, natural aluminum, 7/16-20 thread (GT350Clone)
5380179 - 10" up, 5.5" back, natural aluminum, 7/16-20 thread
5380201 - 9.5" up, 5.7" back, black aluminum, 7/16-20 thread
5384106 - 10" up, 5.5" back, chrome, 3/8-16 thread
5386643 - 7.5" up, 9.5" back, chrome, 3/8-16 thread
5387436 - 10" up, 5" back, chrome, 3/8-16 thread
5388009 - 10.5" up, 3" back, chrome, 3/8-16 thread
(Drawings & additional listings are on the Hurst link above)

I swapped in the 5380178 stick. Worked about perfect for me - 5th is a full arm's length, without bending/reaching, yet the shifter is far enough forward that I won't spill my Big Gulp in 4th gear. I went with an aluminum stick, since I already had a nice shifter ball with 7/16-20 threads. All the aluminum sticks are 7/16-20, while the steel are 3/8-16.

0178 stick in 3rd gear:
im001751.jpg

BobV used to have some great info on his GT350Clone site, but it looks like the site is down now.

I copied it from this post on VMF http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/609867-hurst-shifter-choices-t5.html

Most people find that the stock-style late-model shifter sticks are too much of a "reach" when a T5 is swapped into an early model car. I did a little research a while back and found several alternatives from Hurst. These looked like the best fits. I think most people will want 8" - 10" in height, and 3" - 7" of curve back.

5380015 - 8" up, 3" back, chrome steel, 3/8-16 thread
5380100 - 10" up, 4.75" back, chrome steel, 3/8-16 thread
5380178 - 8" up, 3" back, natural aluminum, 7/16-20 thread (GT350Clone)
5380179 - 10" up, 5.5" back, natural aluminum, 7/16-20 thread
5380201 - 9.5" up, 5.7" back, black aluminum, 7/16-20 thread
5384106 - 10" up, 5.5" back, chrome, 3/8-16 thread
5386643 - 7.5" up, 9.5" back, chrome, 3/8-16 thread
5387436 - 10" up, 5" back, chrome, 3/8-16 thread
5388009 - 10.5" up, 3" back, chrome, 3/8-16 thread
(Drawings & additional listings are on the Hurst link above)

I swapped in the 5380178 stick. Worked about perfect for me - 5th is a full arm's length, without bending/reaching, yet the shifter is far enough forward that I won't spill my Big Gulp in 4th gear. I went with an aluminum stick, since I already had a nice shifter ball with 7/16-20 threads. All the aluminum sticks are 7/16-20, while the steel are 3/8-16.

"mustangstofear" said:
What tranny are you using? check out the shifter we made on our website you won't find one with a better feel. Rich.

The tranny is a T56. I want a Hurst aftermarket look. I will ck out your website. Thanks!

Coleman,
Seems like we are in a similar boat. I have a short throw shifter on my T56 and would prefer the Hurst style stick. I currently have a Pro 5.0 shifter base with a Steeda Tri-Ax stick (has a larger offset than the Pro5.0 stick). I still find myself reaching to bang through the gears. I haven't measured but the Tri-Ax has probably a 2" offset. I also didn't want a real tall shifter stick, which many of the Hurst sticks are about 10-12" tall. If your T56 is like mine, the shifter is sticking up through the trans tunnel hole more than a typical trans (making the stick even taller). I still haven't found the Hurst stick that I want, although I know I want a chrome one to match the original style since I have the factory Mach console. Let me know if you settle on one. I wish they had a 8" tall stick with a 5" offset, but 3" is the max with that short of a handle. I just don't think I'd be gaining much.

"buening" said:
Coleman,
Seems like we are in a similar boat. I have a short throw shifter on my T56 and would prefer the Hurst style stick. I currently have a Pro 5.0 shifter base with a Steeda Tri-Ax stick (has a larger offset than the Pro5.0 stick). I still find myself reaching to bang through the gears. I haven't measured but the Tri-Ax has probably a 2" offset. I also didn't want a real tall shifter stick, which many of the Hurst sticks are about 10-12" tall. If your T56 is like mine, the shifter is sticking up through the trans tunnel hole more than a typical trans (making the stick even taller). I still haven't found the Hurst stick that I want, although I know I want a chrome one to match the original style since I have the factory Mach console. Let me know if you settle on one. I wish they had a 8" tall stick with a 5" offset, but 3" is the max with that short of a handle. I just don't think I'd be gaining much.

What you describe sounds like what we both want. The T56 does stick up higher. I thought about buying a Hurst handle and "hacking" it up the way I want it and then having it rechromed. I am still searching. I want that chrome old school Hurst look.

"Coleman" said:
What you describe sounds like what we both want. The T56 does stick up higher. I thought about buying a Hurst handle and "hacking" it up the way I want it and then having it rechromed. I am still searching. I want that chrome old school Hurst look.

I'm about to that point. I've considered seeing if I can find a cheap used stick to cut up, and if I like it then get a new one to modify. The 5384106 is tempting to take an inch or two off the bottom and then redrill the two holes. That portion would be covered up by the boot anyways.

Looks just like my Competition Plus shifter. It appears the handle is welded just like mine.

I didn't know if it had a part number. I thought I might be replacing it, but from what I've read from others, disassembly cleaning and lubing might be all it needs.

"stump" said:
I didn't know if it had a part number. I thought I might be replacing it, but from what I've read from others, disassembly cleaning and lubing might be all it needs.

I had one in my 67 with the T10. I decided to repair it with a T5 5spd. I put a shifter that looks like the stock 4 spd shifter in it. I'll get a picture of it later...

Mel

Back