• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Smoking my first turkey tomorrow. Oh boy!!

copasspupil

Donator
I know no pics but will have some tomorrow once I take it out of the brine and do rub. Plan on smoking it with apple wood for around 7 hours then hitting it with a little heat to finish it up. First time for doing a turkey.

If the skin starts getting too dark you can cover it with butter soaked cheesecloth or tent it with aluminum foil. Enjoy it I just did two for Thanksgiving.

I always put about a half stick of butter between each breast and skin. Let us know how it comes out. What recipe are you using for the brine?

By brining the meat, you seriously cannot dry it out. I did some chickens a few months ago and got stuck at my daughters school for something like 2 hours and came back to what looked like completely overdone birds - blackened and it was still moist.

The turkey smoke was a little too light on the smoke flavor for me. I enjoyed the flavor of the rub and doing it but next time 'll smoke it for longer. I was in a little bit of a time crunch anyways but that's why it is a trial and error thing about doing this.

Rub consisted of this:
1/2 cup Spanish paprika
1/4 cup New Mexican chile powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon of both white pepper and black pepper
1 teaspoons chile de arbol
1 teaspoon cayenne powder
rub the turkey with oil prior to adding the rub

Pics to follow

I used Apple wood for it. By itself, the next day you could taste the smoke flavor, but with everything else on it, it kind of got lost. Stick with the apple and smoke longer or try cherry/pecan? I enjoyed the flavor but again it was light. I was expecting an obvious smoke ring on it as well.

Back