• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Smooth the underside of a fiberglass hood?

steveh326

Is there a good way to smooth the underside of a fiberglass hood where the fg is not doubled up and the rough texture is visible?

the body shop that painted my car used some type of filler/primer. they put several coats on it. It doesn't look too bad IMO
pictures don't show the true image and I don't have any specifically of the underside of the hood but I did include a pic just to give you some idea. This was a Maier Racing hood and the underside was unfinished.
72_20_01_09_10_35_49.jpg

We spent several hundred hours on my fastback's hood, cutting the vents, smoothing them, and smoothing the underside of the hood. We used muliple layers of filler to achieve a mirror finish. There are a lot of pictures on my website showing what we did. We even had to widen the edges because it wasn't the correct size.

www.tucsonpony.com/Troublehood.html

troublehood is a good description. I didn't have much to do to make mine fit but it was just that fiberglass chop looking mess underneath so it was pretty rough. I was just going to have it painted flat black but my painter wouldn't let me. They didn't spend "hundreden" hours on it though...

Most of our time actually was spent on cutting out and smoothing the windsplit and vents, but we also were perfectionists on the whole underside. We did the same thing to the decklid.

My deck lid was actually a nice finished underside. It required just normal prep. But it wasn't from Maier...I don't recall who made it. I bought it so long ago.

thanks all. I figured there was some product that would work but haven't talked to my painter yet about that detail. 30 years ago I molded some fiberglass fender flares onto a camaro I had and used a green fiberglass putty that was nicknamed cat hair or kitty hair IIRC. not looking to spend HUNDREDS of hours on this but would like it to look a little better once finished for popping the hood on cruise nights. I still have a ways to go before paint but started wondering about finishing off the FG bits and maybe get a head start on them wherre I could.

Our hoods are finished on the underside, but there is a product that I have called Reface designed for fiberglass, it has a mill thickness of 7.5 compared to a high build primer that I use which is 4.5, 2 or 3 coats of this will smooth out your rough fiberglass.

"mustangstofear" said:
Our hoods are finished on the underside, but there is a product that I have called Reface designed for fiberglass, it has a mill thickness of 7.5 compared to a high build primer that I use which is 4.5, 2 or 3 coats of this will smooth out your rough fiberglass.

thank you for the info... like a fool I bought my fiberglass parts before I ever started hanging out around here and found out about you guys and your products... but I gotta try to work with what I have... $ is getting tight and I have a long way to go to get this thing roadworthy again by next summer.

Back