• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Soft Top Maintenance

Hi all

So my 65 convertible is due to arrive on 4 Jan, after a long wait, can't wait ( attached pic before shipping) ! Wanted to get recommendations on good products to use for soft top cleaning/ maintenance/ protection please. I've been recommended the Chemical Guys kit, but I've read mixed reviews on Amazon.

Thanks! JB
a103c37a9e9f3b4f34e6ebc3a3dda7d0.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I don't think that kind of softtop need much maintenance except once in awhile a good wash with some dishsoap.
Its not that fabric style of todays convertible which need more maintenance.
Right?

Disclaimer: No experience or first hand knowledge on the subject

Common sense tells me that even the old tops could benefit from some type of UV protection. Especially in your climate.

JB

Generally for long vinyl convertible top life, one must consider several points:

- Keeping the top clean is probably the single most important task for a convertible owner. Using mild soap, water and a soft bristle brush is the best way to clean the top.
- Never use the shiny dressing products on a top. The dressing attracts dust and airborne abrasives. When a dirty top is folded (in the down position) and you are driving, the top squirms as you drive and the dust acts as an abrasive eventually leading to micro fissures in the vinyl which allows moisture/water to gradually rot the top from the inside out.
- Always put the top up after a drive when it is still warm and flexible rather than the next morning when it is cold and less flexible. Stretching a cold top to close it can also lead to micro fissures at the folds and the top is more likely to rot out prematurely.

I received this advice from an old college buddy of mine in the top manufacturing business when I bought a new convertible in 1987. Following his advice that original top lasted 11 years even though it spent many nights outside. At that point, the factory thread that held the seams together began to rot and while the topping was still water tight, the distressed look didn't work for me. I replaced the top with a one of his and it lasted for at least 10 more years at which point the car was sold.

Jeff has sage advice. If the window is plastic- get Plexus. It is the best, hands down. We used it on our Boxster n Alfa Romeo n I worked great.

Back