• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Solved my brake problem!

Dne'

Hi! Well, almost 2 years after Harvey, I was finally getting my clutch working, but something was wrong with the brakes (all new parts of course)! Front disc/rear drum, factory power booster, dual bowl master with an SSBC valve. Problem: could not get a brake pedal, even after bleeding and bleeding, bench bleeding. I kept getting a tiny bit of air from the Left front caliper, but with Gary pumping the brake, still no pedal.

So, I removed the front wheels, unbolted the calipers and tilted the caliper so the bleeder was at the top (12 o'clock). Opened the bleeder one at a time, and bubbles came out until pure fluid! That's what it was; all is well now! ;)
dne'

I'm embarressed to say that yes, I inadvertantley switched them! But if you hadn't mentioned it, I probably would have continued:( Now the case is solved! I remember years ago someone mentioning having to bleed the brakes this way, probably had switched the calipers like I did. I'm just sad that It didn't click in my brain!
thank you!
dne'

Once you have the calipers on correctly with the bleeders on top... :p

The method that I learned and use now after a lot of trial and error of one person bleeding is too simply push an air line (like used for a fish tank pump) onto the bleeder and route the other end into a partially filled container of brake fluid, submerging the end. Then you can simply repeatedly push the pedal yourself until you get the air out. Just be mindful to keep an eye on the MC to keep the fluid filled. Not only is it an easy way to do it yourself, it is much more effective than trying to sink with someone pushing the pedal as you open and close the bleeder.

I'm embarressed to say that yes, I inadvertantley switched them! But if you hadn't mentioned it, I probably would have continued:( Now the case is solved! I remember years ago someone mentioning having to bleed the brakes this way, probably had switched the calipers like I did. I'm just sad that It didn't click in my brain!
thank you!
dne'

Thats one for the records you will never forget !! One day you will give that same advice to other people and are glad you could help.Same with me !

Back