• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Sour Grapes Department

RagTop

Old Grumpy
I was at a local car show yesterday and was perplexed by the response to the car parked next to me. It was a '66 GTO convertible and a 4 speed manual to boot. That would certainly warrant a good deal of attention on its own. It was a pretty ho hum 389 4V. The car was clean, the engine compartment was clean and the exterior was clean, except for the RWL BFG Radials, which were so dirty that the RWLs could hardly be read. While otherwise clean, however, the car was refrigerator white with a really cheesy looking metallic teal interior. My sister had a silver '66 Goat coupe with a black vinyl top and a black interior that looked great with a red pinstripe and red line tires, but this interior even made the wood inserts look crummy. Yet, the host club's judges kept coming back to the car to take pictures and mumble "yeah, this is it". I don't get it. The car, due to the crappy color combination, was flat ugly. I remember the '57 Chevys that had dark green interiors with a white over yellow exterior, but they actually looked pretty decent. I didn't stick around for the awards, but I'm betting it was selected for some honor by the judges. BTW, including my Mustang there was a total of four first gen Mustangs in the show field of maybe 150 pre '75 cars, which included one Shelby GT350. To paraphrase Peter, Paul and Mounds, where have all the ponies gone? No respect for Fords at most of these events. I was concerned that people would hurt themselves tripping over my Mustang trying to get to or from the GTO and a nice '67 Dodge Coronet 440 (that's a model designation. The car was a 383.) parked on the other side of me.

Last edited:
One guys opinion is that you titled your post correctly. ;) But I feel ya!

Not being a GM guy at all and not wanting to waste time researching either, I would bet that particular GTO was quite rare in it's appointments and/or color scheme. Same for a '67 Coronet. They were not made en'mass like our mustangs. Uniqueness, be it factory or not, tends to garner attention. I will admit that I frequently bypass altogether or give just a brief glance to a run of the mill restored original mustang at a decent sized show if there are other higher end builds or cars demonstrating some well done modifications. People tend to have their own likes and dislikes and even brand affiliations that certainly affect their actions at an event.

I think I correctly titled it too. I just couldn't see why such a basic GTO in plain old white with a really awful colored interior drew so much attention. I admit that I also pass by most plain jane Mustangs at car shows because there isn't much there I haven't already seen.

Well, I bought a '95 Bronco XLT about six months ago and it is teal with white side panels and quarter roof. I thought it looked pretty girly but it was in showroom condition so I bought it. It gets as many complements in parking lots as either my Victory Red '09 C6 Corvette or my Meadowlark Yellow '69 Mustang convertible. I guess I'm just a lousy judge of colors.100_3076.JPG

You're not so wrong with your opinions on colors. I can't imagine a worse color for a 66 GTO than white. Sometimes, however, it is that unexpected palette that catches the eye and maybe even a trophy. There is an admirer for everything. If you doubt that just remember someone chose to marry {.}.

Should of taken and posted a image.

Feel your pain. My mustang now gets no love next to my wife's 59 f100.

If there's no pictures, then it didn't happen. I'm from the Show Me State.

I think I correctly titled it too. I just couldn't see why such a basic GTO in plain old white with a really awful colored interior drew so much attention. I admit that I also pass by most plain jane Mustangs at car shows because there isn't much there I haven't already seen.

Well, I bought a '95 Bronco XLT about six months ago and it is teal with white side panels and quarter roof. I thought it looked pretty girly but it was in showroom condition so I bought it. It gets as many complements in parking lots as either my Victory Red '09 C6 Corvette or my Meadowlark Yellow '69 Mustang convertible. I guess I'm just a lousy judge of colors.View attachment 30963
Might not have be my first choice of color either but in that condition...Love Dem Broncos !

My son's robin egg blue 1980 Mercury Bobcat wagon gets a lot of attention. It's not because it's a revered muscle car or some great engineering design, it's because it's unusual and not something you see at most cruise-in's or car shows. Maybe this Goat was just weird enough to attract attention. By the way I used to own a 65 LeMans convertible that was white. It had a black top and interior but it looked pretty good to me.

Back