• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

speaker panels.....abs vs vinyl kick panels? rear deck?

i'm in need of some audio upgrades and in reviewing the mustangs plus catalog, they have a set of abs plastic speaker panels and vinyl panels. anyone have experience with either? i've been advised to have custom f'glas pods made for the front kick panels, but those are pricey. i'd like to do a set of 6.5" separates, but wonder if the vinyl ones are worth the extra $$. any tips on making my own package tray? or just get the $15 one from a vendor? thanks.

I got the plastic kick panels, they fit good and look factory...
In the back, I just cut out holes for 6x9's...

In both Red and Shag I'm using ABS kick panels. In Red, I just got a piece of plastic or thin fibre board, cut the 6x9 holes and then covered the panel with vinyl.

I am using the standard speaker kick panels now with some Eclipse 6.5" speakers. The sound is ok but the speakers overhang the pods by about a 1/4" all the way around. I ordered some component speaker pods (the same as what you are looking at IIRC) for some new Focal VR165 speakers I now have. I should be getting the kick panels this week.

On the old speaker pods I installed a dynomat type product, FatMat, to reduce some of the vibrations that will be there with using plastic. I have contimplated using a piece of steet and FatMat to bond to the back of the new speaker pods to make them more rigid and have better sound. I am not sure if a piece of 16g steel will do anything but I can't imagine it would hurt.

can you fiberglass? you can take the speaker grill rings and make wood rings that will allow for the depth of the speakers, you can use MDF and angle them properly and get the correct imaging for the speakers. if i remember correctly the focal speakers are a deep speaker.

when i worked at circuit city we would get products from http://www.selectproducts.com/site/index.php

and a fiberglass audio forum that has a install of a 65 fastback, this website has a lot of good info http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=10587&highlight=mustang

Back