• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Splash Shields

Still need to get the splash shields installed on the car. I had the shields powdercoated (not that it matters), I need to install the rubber portions. The kit comes with staples, does everyone just drill small holes and install the staples or is there another method?

I've used the staples.... and I've used pop rivets. I've found no drawbacks to using 3/16ths pop rivets to hold the rubbers onto the shields. Using rivets is a LOT easier.

"daveSanborn" said:
I've found no drawbacks to using 3/16ths pop rivets to hold the rubbers onto the shields. Using rivets is a LOT easier.

Drawback #1: Concours judges will severely frown on this...

I am very pleased that my splash shields are done with staples. :headac Any concours judging staff will be pleased. Of course, that is probably the only thing that is close to concours on the car. I will say, next time, I would do the pop rivets......

"Fast68back" said:
Those guys are too anal anyways......

Charles invited me to the Raleigh MCA show on the 4th of July weekend. I'll make it a point to show him my stock ash-tray.... and then everything else on the entire car that's been modified. Heck, come to think of it, even the ash-tray is non-stock as I sprayed the dash/ash tray in a BC/CC. He should love it!

My next splash shield question...... When they get installed, which way do they go? Does the rubber portion fold forward or backwards.

"Fast68back" said:
My next splash shield question...... When they get installed, which way do they go? Does the rubber portion fold forward or backwards.

They fold towards the wheel, so the answer is "both" forward and backward.

Neither...just common sense about how they are mounted. The bolts go away from the wheel, so the rubber must bend towards the bolt heads.

No, No, we cannot rely on common sense. We would have no idea on when/how to change the air in the tires then.

You change the air when the Argon content becomes depleted, silly!

I think mine is gone. I heard something hitting the splash shields last time I drove it. Darn.....more things to fix.

I have one side with the staples and said heck with that so pop rvited the other side. Will the concourse judge look at both sides? I'd hate to lose another point!

Back