• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

stock dash panel

kb3

As we begin to reassemble a car we didn't take apart, lots of questions arise. I am installing an American Autowire harness and need to terminate the wires to the gauge cluster. Does anyone have a picture of the back side of stock cluster to see how it is all wired. I know I am missing the sockets for the turn and dash lights, but also am not sure if each wire to each gauge is just pushed on the end of the gauge?

More to come!!!

It might help to tell us what year and style of dash you have (e.g. tach, standard, clock?, etc.)

"Midlife" said:
It might help to tell us what year and style of dash you have (e.g. tach, standard, clock?, etc.)

I guess that would help.....a 65 with the circular speedometer. Not sure what it is called.

Wires for gauges are simple push-on affairs.

This is for a 1966; 65 only differs with the ammeter, so the very thick wire goes through the 65 ammeter loop. If that ammeter reads backwards, you'll have to have the thick wire go in the other direction by forming a loop.

From the very left to the right:
Gauges: black/green (CVR output), yellow/white (fuel signal), black/green (CVR output), white/red (oil), red (ammeter), yellow (ammeter), black/green (CVR output), red/white (temperature).
Along the top: green/white (LH turn signal lamp), blue/red (dash lamp), green/black (right over speedo---high beam), blue/red (dash lamp), blue/white (RH turn signal lamp)

CVR: black/green female spade fully insulated on left, black/green female spade exposed on right, black (ground) on case (can be ring or spade connector).
Along the bottom: both blue/red (dash lamps)

"Midlife" said:
Wires for gauges are simple push-on affairs.

This is for a 1966; 65 only differs with the ammeter, so the very thick wire goes through the 65 ammeter loop. If that ammeter reads backwards, you'll have to have the thick wire go in the other direction by forming a loop.

From the very left to the right:
Gauges: black/green (CVR output), yellow/white (fuel signal), black/green (CVR output), white/red (oil), red (ammeter), yellow (ammeter), black/green (CVR output), red/white (temperature).
Along the top: green/white (LH turn signal lamp), blue/red (dash lamp), green/black (right over speedo---high beam), blue/red (dash lamp), blue/white (RH turn signal lamp)

CVR: black/green female spade fully insulated on left, black/green female spade exposed on right, black (ground) on case (can be ring or spade connector).
Along the bottom: both blue/red (dash lamps)

Thanks for all the insight, the problem being is that it is an aftermarket harness. I guess I need to find an original schematic to decipher the wiring in as much my harness doesn't match those colors you shared. I could also just try a couple wires and see what I get...

Can you tell me where I might purchase some of those factory push on connectors for the back of the gauges?

Thanks again

Back