• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stress test

RapidRabbit

Donator
So I've been having some health issues for many years. Not really sure what.

Recently I've had CT scans, countless blood tests, X-rays etc.

Dr now wants me to do a stress test. Not sure I want too. My dad ended up in the hospital for several days after doing one around my age.

Have any of you guys done one? Not sure what to expect.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Is it a treadmill test or a chemical test? I had the treadmill test last year at age 54. I am not in terrible shape, but man did they make me run until I was ready to drop. Other than an elevated heart rate for a bit, no negative effects. This was during the height of COVID and fortunately they let me take my mask off during the treadmill test. I believe they only use the chemical test of you are unable to run on the treadmill.

I'm assuming it's the treadmill test. Really not sure yet.

Just went in for more blood work yesterday. So I'll get more info at my next appointment.

I first had an echocardiogram, then they put the heart monitors on and ran a EKG to get my resting heart conditions, had me run until my legs turned to jello then ran another EKG. They measured how long for my heart to return to normal rate then sent me home!

They do the chemical test if you can't run on a treadmill. I did the run test. I haven't run for many years because of bad knees, but even though I didn't think I could do the test, I was able to complete it. It was very tiring, but some minutes later (it took a while), my breathing and heart rate was back to normal. Its not fun, because you have to keep pushing yourself to keep going- they want your heart rate up to a certain level for X amount of time. I would do it again, and I'm sure another test is somewhere in my future.
If you do the chemical test, I believe they have to give you something to counteract the first shot, to get you back to normal. I'd rather not do that either, but of the two at least the treadmill doesn't introduce chemicals that you really don't want.

Had to take the treadmill stress test (I believe exery two years) starting around the age of 40 for the company. Very tiring but other then that no problems.

Do the gerbil test (not the variety {.} would request) as its a very good way to evaluate your condition. If it puts you in the hospital you'll know you need work done! Simple as that.

Thanks guys.

I've been a little apprehensive, but sounds like I should just go ahead with it.

My next appointment isn't until next week I'm sure we'll discuss it then and set it up.

It's really scary when you actually want the doctors to find something wrong just to get answers.

Pat -

Mine was performed in a hospital, I figured if I had the big one while running on the treadmill I couldn't be in a better place for it to happen!!

I dunno about all of you, but reading this thread really is stressing me out!

Had a heart attack at 40 (58 this month) so I get them frequently. I get the barium ones a lot. I exercise a lot so the running isn't bad. You get an MRI prior, while I'm walking/running to get the heart rate to a designated number then hey shoot the shit in. They used to let me go and see how long I could run but this year the tech said that's enough we have people waiting.
Not a big deal. On the treadmill less than 15 minutes.
The other chemical test that was referenced was if you have leg or breathing problems they use a chemical to get the heart rate up instead of physical activity.

One thing people fail to mention is get ready for them to shave your chest. Plus they have to use a 3m pad to scuff it/you to get the probes to stick. Makes you feel a bit like a dented fender.

So I've been having some health issues for many years. Not really sure what.

Recently I've had CT scans, countless blood tests, X-rays etc.

Dr now wants me to do a stress test. Not sure I want too. My dad ended up in the hospital for several days after doing one around my age.

Have any of you guys done one? Not sure what to expect.

I've done several. Nothing to worry about. I did the one with the die and found out I get a false positive for ischemia. I ended up getting a rush angiogram and found nothing wrong.

You do want to find issues and at least know options.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

I've been a little apprehensive, but sounds like I should just go ahead with it.

My next appointment isn't until next week I'm sure we'll discuss it then and set it up.

It's really scary when you actually want the doctors to find something wrong just to get answers.

Good luck and Good numbers. Fingers crossed.

Back