• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Strnge's 1965 Mustang Coupe Build

strnge

This will be where I document all the work I will complete on my 1965 Mustang Coupe.

The beginning:
In 2001 my wife's 16 year old cousin showed up at a family event with his first car, a Born on September 22, 1964 in San Jose, Ca, 1965 298 A Code Mustang Coupe. I was driving my 1957 Chevy Belair at the time. I told him I loved his Mustang and if and when he ever sells the car, to give me a call first. I reminded him at every family event we both attended that I was to be his first call. When my daughters were born, I told him I wanted to give it to them to drive when the got their license.

Fast forward to November 2012:
I received a call from my wife's cousin saying he has returned from 7 years of college and law school and did not have the funds to put the mustang back on the street. The car had been parked uncovered and exposed to the elements (If you can call it that here in Northern California) under a pine tree on a sloped driveway at his parents house for the last 7 years. I told him I would come over and take a look. I ended up with a major knee injury at work and was unable to go look at the car. I kept receiving texts from my wife's cousin over the next few months saying he wanted to sell me the car and that he would wait. In March 2013 I was finally able to go look at the car. I went over to his parents house and was surprised he let the car sit under those conditions exposed to the elements for 7 years. The paint had faded badly, the acid from the pine needles had done a number on the paint. The front passenger side of the car had been tapped at one time. The hood had a small bend in the lip, the bumper had been pushed back about 1 inch, the lower front valance had bent a little, the passenger fender had a little bend in it. The rear valance by the right bumper guard had an upward bend of about 2 inches in it about 6 inches long. The car was sitting on 4 flat tires which were really rotted. The passenger front wheel had a big bend in the lip where it had hit a curb. Under the hood was looked good except one thing. The threads where the fuel line goes in to the front of the carburetor were completely stripped. Someone had directly connected the original hard fuel line in to the carburetor. This completely stripped out the threads and the fuel line was sitting on the intake manifold, spewing fuel all over the top of the engine. Luckily this was discovered when the hood was opened up and did not start an engine fire. The interior was not bad. Both front seats had torn seams on the outer upper back rests. The drivers seat had a tear down the center where you would sit. The carpet was almost a grey color from being exposed to the sun so long. The rest of the interior looked good. It just needed to be cleaned up. All in all the car looked good for a driver which is what I build. I personally hate trailer queens :no I build my cars to drive.

I told my wife's cousin to tell me what he wants for the car. I did not want to offend him with a lowball offer. We discussed what it would cost to put it back on the road, what it would cost to make it safe and we discussed what it would cost to restore. After we talked for about an hour he threw out a price which he felt comfortable with. I agreed with his price and paid him right there. I loaded the car on to a tow truck and headed home with my newest addition to the family! :thu

Below are photos of the car on that first day:

993psi.jpg

2w5uhkl.jpg

25rmfmb.jpg

23vmf6o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Strnge1957's 1965 Mustang Coupe Build

Maybe it came originally with the pinstripe option since there's no chrome side scoops?

Strnge1957's 1965 Mustang Coupe Build

That looks like a great car to start with. Pretty solid looking from the pictures.

3rd pic = 101 north bound at Kehoe Ave exit in San Mateo? Maybe?

Here are some shots from the first day with the car at home.

211428n.jpg

9fp0mh.jpg

nldcmp.jpg

fn8dio.jpg

10onytw.jpg

This car is full of 1964 1/2 and 1965 parts. It is truly a transition car.

Here is a list of what I have found so far:

1964 1/2 parts:

Drivers side complete headlight bucket assembly
Drivers side fender with small Mustang script
Both tail lights glass
Carpet
A center "off" heater fan switch
Hood
Hood hinges
Hood bumpers with visible screw
Eaton power steering pump

I am sure there is more, but that is all I have found so far.

I thought that car looked familiar. I lived in Belmont for a few years and must have driven past it. Looks like a good project.

In the past few days I have done the following:

Changed the belts
Rebuilt the carburetor
Added a fuel filter
Changed the rusted out air cleaner and filter
Looked at the cooling system
Installed the back seat to trunk panel
Pulled out that hideous stereo hanging down from the dash on the passenger side.

Today I decided car had sat for so long and that I should flush out the radiator. I removed the shitty flex fan that was on the car, drained the radiator as well as pulled off all the hoses.

153sfup.jpg

zixe2c.jpg

Back